Monday 26 September 2016

21st September Printing Jonathan Ashworth And Angie Lewin

On Wednesday 21st September, I continued to generate further research around the work of Jonathan Ashworth and Angie Lewin. I continued to create further critical studies of both artists through printing techniques and designs which were taken further into the print room to create print outcomes. The workshop allowed me to developed my skills further and explore different printing methods which included the technique poly-printing. Also, the task allowed me to continue to complete further artists research and gain inspiration from the research for my development of the project "Natural World". Finally, the task allowed me to work independently in the printing room to create a series of prints and outcomes which include the critical studies of my chosen artists.

Firstly, I decided to collect further research about the artist Angie Lewin who creates prints and pieces around the theme and topic of nature. I gained information about the artist from my visit to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park where I visited the exhibition “Editions and Objects: Yorkshire Sculpture Park St. Judes”. I continued to generate further knowledge about the artist and gain information to create Critical studies about Angie Lewins work. After collecting research, I continued to create designs of Jonathan Ashworths work through Lino printing and poly-printing. Previously, I gained knowledge about lettering and I learnt from my previous mistake and placed the lettering correctly when tracing the design onto the surface. I decided to explore the technique poly-printing as I haven't explored this process before. Poly-printing is a technique where you place a design onto polyester through a pencil which engraves into the surface to create a pattern. Then the design is transferred into the print room and ink is placed onto the surface to create print finish. When working the design onto the surface, I found that placing lettering onto the layout was difficult as the polyester was delicate and difficult to work into as it broke very easily. To solve the problem I decided to transfer the design onto the lino board and continued to work with the same process. I repeated the lino-cutting process to create the critical study and learnt from my previous mistake of lettering. On the design, I presented the lettering backwards so that the design would be spelt correctly when printed which made the layout ready to be placed onto the roller. After creating the lino-print of Jonathan Ashworths work, I decided to focus on creating prints for Angie Lewins work which included poly-printing and lino-printing designs. I repeated the lino-cutting process to create a flower design outline which included a variety of depth and lines in order to create an effective board. For poly-printing I decided to use Angie Lewins work as she uses simple lines and patterns which are effective for the process as I have learnt previously from this technique. After learning previously from this process, I created simple outlines with my pencil and created depth for the technique to work. The outcomes were effective as I built up Angie Lewins work through the strong patterns and outlines. After creating the all the critical study boards, I went to the print-room to create a variety of print outcomes.
"Save The Polar Bears" Jonathan Ashworth

Poly-print outcome of "Save The Polar
Bears".

Poly-print of Angie Lewins work


Angie Lewin full design print

Save The Polar Bears Lino-cut outcome.

Tracing Outlines Of The Design

Lino-cut outcome of Angie Lewins work
 

Previously, I have knowledge of using the print room so I was really confident to use the area again to set up my prints and materials. Throughout the task, I followed health and safety instructions in order to stay safe whilst creating prints in the room. I placed my lanyard away from the rollers to avoid the risk of getting caught in the machine. Also, I tied my hair up to avoid the risk of injury when printing. To create the prints I collected the materials which included a roller, plastic sheet, water base ink and paper. I used a variety of paper to demonstrate how the material ink is effective on different surfaces. Also, I decided to use a variety of paper surfaces to analyse which surface is most effective to present both artists work. Firstly, I decided to use the lino-boards first because I have previous knowledge using them in the print-room. To set up the ink, I placed the material onto a plastic sheet and used a roller to even out the texture which also covered the tool evenly. Next, I placed the roller onto the surface of the design and used a board to cover the design evenly. This was transferred to the printing roller with paper and fed through the wheel for the technique to work. The outcome was presented through the wheel and the designs were successfully printed onto paper. This process was repeated for all lino-prints and the outcome is presented below.

Ink and Prints
Printing Sheet
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Printing Roller
 
Ink on the surface
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lino Board covered in ink

Jonathan Ashworth Print on Parcel Paper

Leaf print outcome on A4 paper


Look after our world outcome


Angie Lewin Outcome

Save The Polar Bears outcome on parcel paper
 
For the poly-printing the process was different as the rollers weren’t used as they would damage the material. Instead I transferred the ink designs and placed them straight onto paper and used a roller to even the material out. To match the style of Angie Lewins work, I used different colourful paper and repated the process. Finally to match the style of Jonathan Ashworths work, I used black ink throughout as it is the same material used to create his pieces. The outcomes are presented below.
Angie Lewin print outcome repeated

Angie Lewin flower print outcome repeated with poly-printing process.

Poly-printing process


Next, I am going to transfer my prints onto artist research boards and save some print outcomes for my technical file which will show my development.


No comments:

Post a Comment