Saturday 31 December 2016

8th December Yayoi Kusama

On Thursday 8th of December, I continued to generate further artist research through developing understanding and knowledge of the “Kitsch Movement”. By progressing and developing further into this theme, it has allowed me to gain knowledge about new, interesting artists which included Japanese Artist Yayoi Kusama. The artist uses a wide range of media to create her work which includes painting, collage, installations and sculpture. Yayoi Kusamas work emphasises circles and dots through repetition and pattern which can be interpreted as abstract artwork. I discovered the artist through my Pinterest board research through the search title “Kitsch” as the artist’s work can be interpreted as the movement. However, as a Textiles Artist, I was engaged by the artist’s work through the depth, repetition, emphasis and texture of Yayoi patterns of circles and dots. To create artists research I wanted to emphasise each individual pattern used and this was created through choice of materials which included, acrylic paints, Gouache paints and inks. By completing artist’s research, it has allowed me to analyse and develop artist research activity. Also, the task allowed me to interpret research activity to develop ideas and creative proposals for the chosen project and theme. Finally, the task allowed me to select appropriate materials to create Yayoi Kusamas patterns and emphasise colour and repetition within the piece.

Before creating the research board, I found the task difficult as I wanted to demonstrate Yayoi Kusama installation pieces within my work. To solve the problem I decided gain inspiration from the installation pieces and used them as a background to create an effective outcome with the choice of ink and acrylic paint to emphasise the dots within the page. Next, I focused with creating Yayoi Kusamas pumpkin designs as the artist emphasises these sculptures through a variety of colour and depth. To create the piece within the page I decided to use pencil to capture the shadows and tones within the sculpture. Also, by using this material It has allowed me to emphasise the pattern through layering acrylic paint above the design which allowed it to be engaging and eye-catching within the piece. The outcome is presented below.
Artist Research board which includes Installation background and Pumpkins

Pencil outline of Pumpkin with layers of acrylic paint to create the repeated dot pattern.
Next, I am going to continue to complete Yayoi Kusama board and start to develop initial ideas and drawings for my final outcome which will reflect Textiles and the project “Mother and Child”.

No comments:

Post a Comment