Wednesday 14 October 2015

13th October Studio Practise


On the 13th October we continued to complete our glossary pages for the “Hands On Project” in the studio practise. I decided to focus on completing two pages from the “Elements Of Design” which was “Form” and “Value”. In my independent study, I designed what I was going to create for my pages which helped me for time management when completing the pages. I decided to focus on “Value” first because I felt the design was going to take the longest. To match the definition the material I decided to use was shading pencils as it allowed me to create light and dark tones which matched “Value”. I wanted to create a design that would include a lot of detail so I decided to draw a hand holding a photo frame which had an image of my dog. I decided to choose an image of my dog because he has a lot of detail on his fur which will allow me to match the definition of the page. Once I completed the design I noticed that the design background was dull and had no colour. To improve next time I will consider the background when designing. However, the overall design was really effective as it represented the key word “Value” and included lots of detail. Next I focused on the glossary page for “Form”.
Value Glossary Page
To create the “Form” glossary page, I decided to have an image of a hand holding a ball that was reflecting into the light that would cause shadows. To achieve this idea I decided to use shading pencils again as it would give me detail and different lights, tones and shading to create the effect that I wanted. After creating the design, I realised that the background looked dull on the design and wasn’t making the hand stand out or look eye-catching. To solve the problem I collected newspaper and placed it around the drawing for the background which started to make the design look emphasised. To make the drawing stand out further, I decided to place white paint onto the newspaper so that the colour fade which would allow the hand to be emphasized further. The background made the design look really effective.
Form Glossary Page
 

Overall, the studio practise was really useful as it allowed me to complete two glossary pages for the project to a good, effective standard. To improve next time I am going to focus on backgrounds when completing further glossary pages so that designs I create will be eye-catching and stand out for the glossary pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment