Tuesday 6 October 2015

1st October Textiles Workshop


On 1st of October I continued to be involved in workshops and in the lesson we explored “Textiles” and the elements of the subject. This was a method I have explored previously and I wanted to use my skills and take them into new methods and skills. In my previous experience with “Textiles” I have explored embroidery and screen printing which was useful for the workshop as in the task we used both of these methods. Also, we explored paper making, batik, heat transfer printing, more methods into screen printing and more methods of embroidery. I was really curious to develop and adapt my skills into the workshop as I find the subject “Textiles” enjoyable previously. All the tasks we completed related back to the “Hands On Project” and throughout the workshop we learnt new keywords for the glossary pages. To start the workshop we collected screen printing frames (that had a range of hand drawings) and placed gum strip onto the surface to fill the gaps so that no excess ink will run out onto the surface when printing. We placed the screen-printing frames into the oven so that the gum strip would dry and allow the frame to be used for printing.


Whilst the screen-printing stencils were drying we focus on the method that I was curious to explore in textiles which was “Batik”. By using a tjanting tool a range of patterns and designs can be placed onto a variety of surfaces with hot wax. Once the hot wax became solid, procion dye is painted onto the surface and the design became colourful and it also presented the wax drawing. I explored this method several times with a range of different colours and patterns. Also, to experiment further with the “Batik” method I mixed different colours onto the paper surface to create a range of colours on one sheet. I created layers of wax onto the sheets to create darker colours from the dye. This process is called “immersion” which increases colour and shade of the dyes on the surface by adding more wax and different colours. Also the other “Batik” method is painting individual areas of the fabric with different coloured dyes.
Batik drawings and coloured dyes.
Coloured dyes.
Hot wax pot and tjanting tools


















A problem I faced with using the Batik method is that when I was drawing with the tjanting tool onto the surface a lot of wax spilt which ruined the design and pattern. To solve the problem I placed some paper under the tool before I drew onto the design to stop further spilling of wax. Another problem I faced with Batik was creating my idea that I had in my mind and for it to be placed onto the surface as I found working with hot wax really difficult to draw with. To improve next time, when I use the method, I will practise more with simple shapes and designs to build up my confidence with using the method and tools. Next time when I use the Batik method, I am also going to try different fabrics and surfaces as I want to explore what the hot wax and dye is like on different surfaces and if it gives different effects. Finally, next time when I use the Batik method I want to explore the skills and tools further by using an iron to remove the wax and to give a clear finish. When handling and using the tools for Batik we had to follow the health and safety instructions to avoid possible injuries that can occur. When working with hot wax, we had to avoid touching the substance in the pot as it can damage the skin on our hands. Also, another instruction we were given was that if we weren’t using the tjanting tool we had to place it on the table. Finally, another instruction we were given was that we must wear aprons at all times to avoid staining clothes. We followed these instructions throughout the task which allowed us to enjoy the task safely and carefully. After the task we focused on screen-printing as our frames were ready to print.

Screen-printing is a modern method of stencilling that uses screens constructed by wood and made up of mesh and a frame. An image is placed onto the mesh which we used in the workshop that related to the “Hands On Project”. After taking the screen frames out of the oven they were ready to use with a variety of inks available. When I chose an ink I placed a cotton piece underneath the frame and collected a squeegee which pushed the ink through the screen to allow the ink to pass through the design onto the surface. Once the process is done it will reveal the pattern underneath giving an identical copy from the design on the screen. After completing the transfer, we took the screen to the hose pipe where we washed it down to remove all inks so that it can be placed in the oven to dry and to be used again. A problem I faced when screen printing was that I didn’t include enough ink to allow it to be passed through the surface which made some parts of my design missing on the final surface. To improve next time I will practise more screen printing techniques and find out how much ink is needed for different surfaces. When I repeat the screen-printing process in the future I will explore using a variety of inks onto one screen print to give a colourful appearance on the surface. I repeated the process a couple of times and I also explored and experimented with puff binder. This material is a substance that creates a 3D appearance when dried at really high temperatures. For the puff binder to work I mixed it with a range of inks and repeated the same process to reveal a design that has been placed onto the surface. After creating a design I placed the surface onto the table in which I used a dryer to make the 3D look appear on the surface. I repeated the process a couple of times and it gave really good results with different colours. But the problem I faced with using the puff binder was the amount I used as not enough ink and paste went through onto the design. To improve next time I will explore puff binder and inks further to find out what the right amount needed to screen-print. Whilst the screen prints were used or being dried we also explored “Paper-Making” in the workshop.
Screen Printing Frame
Screen Printing Frame with colour.

 














Puff Binder Material
The drying process to the puff binder material.





















The final outcome from screen printing.



Puff binder screen print outcome.
















Paper-Making is a process of making a paper products from fibrous materials such as rags, straw, bark and other organic materials. These raw materials can form sheets of paper by pulping, straining and mixing with equipment and water. This recycling process is created by placing a mesh frame into a tray with water and paper. After placing the frame into the water it needs to be covered with pieces of paper in the tray. When the frame is covered, it is taken out of the tray gently and turned over onto a j-cloth. This method is known as couching and the frame is drained by a sponge to collect excess water from the frame. After leaving the frame to dry we took it away to reveal the paper that has been created. I repeated the process a couple of times which gave me confidence to learn the method and work independently. To improve the paper layouts I explored different layouts and brusho inks which creates colours when placed with water.

Paper-making process.
Paper outcome.
 

















Paper outcome with brusho inks.
Paper outcome with different layout.



















Also, in the textiles workshop we explored “Heat Transfer printing” through the “Hands On Project”. We were given a variety of secondary images to choose from that was going to be transferred onto cloth or calico materials. To create the transfer we placed the design under a hot iron machine which is shown below with the image being placed face down onto the cloth. Then the design is pressed under the hot iron for 15 seconds and once the process is finished the back of the design will peel of to reveal the image transferred onto the surface. I repeated the process again with a different image which gave me confidence when using the machine. Before we used the machine we were given health and safety instructions as the machine is dangerous to use. Hands must be kept away from the iron as it can cause serious burning and injuries to the hand. Also the machine must be carefully rotated to avoid damaging the wall. Finally, always pay close attention to the machine and never leave it unattended when using it. These instructions were followed throughout the task. After collecting our heat-transfer designs we used them for the “Embroidery” task in the workshop. For the task we worked into the fabric with thread and a range of stitching techniques which gave an effective look onto the design. It made design look 3D and presented a range of skills and experience I have had previously with the method. I found this part of the task really enjoyable as it allowed me to explore new techniques in stitching and use my previous knowledge I have learnt before to work independently in the task. To improve next time I will focus on my time management as I didn’t complete the embroidery on the design.

Heat-Transfer Machine.
Heat-transfer outcome.
 


Heat transfer outcome.
Image before being transferred through the
heat-transfer machine.

Embroidery Process.
Overall the textiles workshop was a really enjoyable experience for me as it allowed me to adapt and develop my previous knowledge and skills into the variety of tasks which made me independent. Also, the task was a good experience as it also allowed me to explore new methods of textiles that I will continue to use in the course. Finally the workshop was a good experience as it taught me new terminology, equipment and tools that I can use in the future of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment