Sunday 11 October 2015

8th October Photography Workshop


On the 8th October we continued to explore workshops and we explored the methods and techniques of “Photography”. The Photography workshop was made up of different group tasks to build up our skills and knowledge of taking professional photographs with different methods but also to increase our group and communication skills. As a group we experienced a range of methods which allowed us to take photographs which related to the “Hands on Project” but also how it expressed ourselves. I was really curious to explore photography as I have never experienced professional photography before in a studio and I wanted to try new skills which will increase my basic knowledge of taking photographs with my mobile phone and digital camera. The task allowed us to work independently to create our own ideas and use our own knowledge into practise when taking photos ourselves in the studio. Als, the task allowed us to collect new key terminology for our “Hands On Project” glossary pages. Finally, the task allowed us to increase our communication skills and to work as a team with different tasks that the whole group hasn’t experienced before.

At the start of the day we used our independent research skills to find out the definition of key photography terms which were “aperture”, “shutter-speed” and “ISO”. After working independently, we discussed what definitions we found and combined our ideas together as a group which allowed to understand the key terminology further. Aperture is a space which light passes through a photographic instrument (camera). Shutter-speed is the length of time when the film or digital sensor inside the camera is exposed to light. Finally, “ISO” measures the sensitivity of the image sensor within the camera. The lower the ISO number, the less sensitive the camera is to the light. A higher ISO number, the more sensitive the camera is to the light. These key terminology, were useful for the “Hands On Project” as they can be used for the workshop glossary pages. Also by researching the key terminology it allowed us to increase our knowledge and to take it into the first task and camera settings we learnt. In camera settings, we learnt about the key terminology in further detail and how it effects the photograph when taken in manual photography. Firstly, we learnt about shutter speed in detail, when the camera is left with more time and light the image becomes brighter but blurry deliberately which creates an effect. The process is a still image and a tripod is used to create the blur effect. In quick shutter speed, it’s a fast moving photograph and freezes an action in motion. This process is used in sport photography and no tripod is needed as it is a fast moving process. When learning about aperture further we learnt about “depth of field” which is the amount of image on focus. If the shutters wide open, the depth of field becomes brighter and shallow. If the shutters are smaller, the depth of field becomes darker. With ISO films if the measurement is 100 the image will be clear which is ideal for taking a photo in the daytime. If the ISO measurement is 3200 the image will be darker and it will create a grainy image. After learning in depth about key terminology and learning new keywords we took them into practise in the first task.

In project one we used natural light and took black and white images of a variety of hands. As it was the first task I was really nervous as I haven’t used a camera with the equipment and settings before that we have learnt previously. With working as a group it gave me confidence as others in the group felt the same as me with not having any experience with trying cameras in the studio. This gave the confidence to take a variety of images of hands which solved the problem I faced at the start. After trying and experimenting in project one, we learnt about the composition of manual photography and how photography is an art. With manual photography we learnt about how images should be placed on a grid so that the viewer will focus on the vocal point of the camera. We also discussed how photography is an art as it incorporates the elements of art, leading lines and framing which were also more keywords we learnt in the workshop. It allowed us to discuss how photography is art and how it can be expressed and be presented in different methods and techniques through photography. Through us discussing about the art of photography we moved to project two which was to take photos that expressed you through the “Hands On Project”.

Photography studio with black background
(low key lighting)
Photography studio white background
(High key lighting)

At the start of project 2 I was struggling to come up with an idea that expressed me though my hands. To solve the problem I created a mind map and looked at a variety of materials that were on offer to create an idea for the photo. I wanted the photograph to reflect what is important to me so I decided to choose music for the design. To create the photo, I collected my iPod from my bag and a pair of earphones for the design. A problem I faced was creating the layout and how music means a lot to me through the design. To solve problem I tried a range of different layouts and I came up with an idea that expressed what music meant to me by wrapping the earphones I had around my arm and iPod.
My Final Idea
After creating the idea, the group took a variety of images of my hand in different positions but still reflecting the layout that I created and how music expresses me. We also changed the length of the image, the aperture, ISO and shutter speed to experiment with what skills we have learnt and to use them independently. I also practised taking photos with another member of the group’s expression of hands and used different elements that was used on my photos to experiment with the skills we were taught previously. After completing project 2 and collecting a range of images, we made different diagrams to present the equipment used and differences between high key lighting and low key lighting studio areas. The diagrams are presented below.
Taking photos using a range of lights
and techniques.
High Key lighting diagram


  

Low Key lighting diagram
To experiment with more photography techniques that related to the “Hands On Project” we explored creative lighting and exposure in project 4 in the workshop. To create these techniques we had to keep the ISO low, keep the shutter speed long, create overlying images, have multiple exposure, have a source of light and movement to create the images. As a group we created a variety of images that expressed the hands moving to create the effect that we wanted. We also created our own individual exposures by placing our hands in a position for certain amount of time and changing it to create the effect that made it a multiple exposure. For the creative lighting we used mobile phone lights and used movement to create the effect that was presented on the photograph after the long period of time was finished. To match the “Hands On Project” we used the lighting and presented an effect which showed lights coming from hands which gave a really good effect. We repeated the process several times and used different positions of hands and light movements. I found this task really enjoyable, as it I found it really creative and It gave an imaginative effect on our hands and made them look interesting. After taking the photos we took them into the computer software Photoshop.

Creative light process
Before using Photoshop we were given a brief introduction of what we can explore and create with our images. Then we worked independently to create different effects on our hand images that related to the “Hands On Project”. I wanted to create the effect that we were given on our brief introduction so I collected a background that had a paint peeling effect on it so that the hand image would look like skin was peeling. A problem I faced with using Photoshop was that I didn’t feel confident with using the software and I struggled with basic elements through the instructions. To improve next time I am going to practise Photoshop further and explore the techniques to build up my confident with using the software. Eventually, I created the design that I wanted to create independently on the software and the image is presented below. Also, to improve next time I am going to try different elements and effects to create more Photoshop designs.
Design process on Photoshop
In the photography workshop we were given health and safety instructions which we followed throughout the task to avoid the risk of injuries. The instructions are presented on the poster below.
Health and Safety instructions in the photography studio.
 Overall the task was really enjoyable as it allowed me to explore in a workshop that I didn’t feel confident with at the start of the task. It allowed me to learn new skills, techniques and methods in photography that related to the “Hands On Project”. Finally, it allowed me to work independently but also as a group which developed my communication and group skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment