Sunday 14 May 2017

Paper Samples

Paper making is a simple process of using recycled paper surfaces and materials to be broken down to create combined, new structures of paper. The process can be edited and adapted with different examples of materials and sources to suit the project but also show experimentation and analysis. I have decided to explore the process because it was a Textiles element in which would allow me to screen print my layers onto different textured surfaces to show progress and how the technique can be transferred onto a range of materials. Also the process was decided as it allowed me to explore the combination of paper and fabric ratio to create new style of paper surfaces. It was planned previously within my sketchbook that I was going to experiment with the technique and surface when analysing all the processes in which I can use to contribute to practical skills. The task has allowed me to work independently to create the task and to allow me to gain confidence with the process and techniques. It has given me the opportunity to adapt the process to suit my style and project progress within the task. It has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, prepare and organise my project to complete further techniques and outcomes. Also, the task has allowed me to solve theoretical and practical problems within the Textiles process to improve the outlook of the design. The task has allowed me to demonstrate the application of a range of practical methods and skills in the personal self-directed project.

To prepare for the task, I previously obtained recycled materials from newspapers, magazines and scrap A4 bleached paper. These papers were organised before the completion of the task to ensure a well-structured outlook with the materials placed into the bucket and to be observed in hot water. Recycled fabrics were included in the task as i wanted the pieces to relate back to Textiles and the understanding of fabrics being experimented with my screen surfaces. These pieces were also broken down into fractions to ensure a well-structured outlook and this included using fabric scissors to create a range of shapes and layers. The outcomes were placed into hot water to soak which has been previously prepared and boiled with a kettle. Next the paper surfaces had to be broken down which included the use of the paper shredder. This machinery would allow me to incorporate a large amount of pieces to be broken down to create a wide amount of sampling. Health and safety was maintained throughout the task which included hair being placed away from the shredder to avoid contact with the blades. Also, metallic pieces including staples and paper clips were removed to avoid the blades from damaging and burning. These elements were maintained throughout the task. A problem I faced with the machinery was that it would get jammed easily and be blocked from the paper surfaces. This would impact and slow down the process. To solve the problem, I removed the trapped paper and continued to use the process with placing one paper at a time. This ensured an effective solution for the task. To obtain the most effective results these materials were placed overnight in the water to ensure the broken down elements.

Shredder
Recycled Fabric
Hot & Soapy Water
Shredded Recycled Paper
Left in The Water Overnight
Once process was left over night, I continued to complete the process. This included planning the equipment which involved:

 

Kitchen sieve

 J-cloth

 Sponge

 Drying rack

 

These simple items would contribute to create the sampling. The sieve was used to obtain the material from the water and create a mesh outlook for the paper to work. This included the removal of excess water with a sponge within the source to ensure a structured outcome and appearance. Due to the circumference of the kitchen sieve I was unable to create large samples which restricted to me and improve my research development. This was a problem as I couldn't create samples with my screen layer which was an initial idea. But overall the technique was still useful as it has allowed me to expand my practical skills and understanding to contribute to my project. It has also identified that I will be not be continuing with this method further through the progress of the project. Also it has continued to allow me to experiment with the combination of paper and fabric surfaces. Once the paper surfaces was drained within the sieve it was transferred onto a j-cloth to remove further excess water with the fabric and sponge. Another problem was issued when transferring the process as it broke up the pieces causing the layouts to be separate in some sampling. The problem was resolved and maintained as further samples were generated, and I placed broken elements back into the water surface to repeat and experiment again. As all the samples were generated they were placed onto the drying rack and the sponge was used again to remove excess water to reveal a dry outcome. The outcomes were left naturally to dry and were placed into my sketchbook to show the progress I have made within the task.

 

Overall the process was useful as it allowed me to experiment with further practical skills within the Textiles environment. It has shown my problem solving and progression I have made within the task to allow me to analyse and evaluate further. I have learnt from the process and I will be moving forward from this technique within the Textiles workshop and process.



No comments:

Post a Comment