Wednesday 8 June 2016

Unit 8 Final Evaluation


FMP Final Evaluation for Unit 8 “Structures”

I have analysed the requirements and parameters for “Unit 8 Structures” through completing my project proposal which included 3 sections within the topic. This included a rationale, project concept and evaluation. For my rationale I explained my progress throughout the first year of the Art and Design Level 3 Extended diploma course and what skills I have learnt and developed within workshops and studio practises. Also, within my rationale I have discussed my career path and where I want to go next after I complete the second year of my course. For my project concept, I have explained my interpretation of the theme “structure” and what elements within the theme I explored for my project which was the “Structure Of Nature” and “Paper Structures”. Also for my project concept I have analysed what research techniques I am going to complete and the journey I have followed throughout my task to work towards my final piece. Finally, for my evaluation, I identified ongoing reflection and the final evaluation for my project. For the ongoing reflection, I completed annotation, daily blog entries and SMART Targets. The SMART targets related to my action plan which was a timetable with what I was going to complete at each week of the project. Finally, I have analysed the requirements and parameters through collecting proposed research and creating a bibliography which held a list of references I was going to be using. The context of the final project was “structures” where I created a mind map exploring a variety of elements within the theme. Then I developed my own interpretation of the theme and explored the “Structure Of Paper” and “Structure Of Nature”. Finally, this interpretation was developed further to create a Unit 8 assessment criteria mind map which highlighted how I was going to achieve each points within the project. The project proposal highlighted my interpretation of the context “structure” and this was maintained throughout the project towards my final piece outcome. The project proposal highlighted the specific elements I wanted to explore and what research I needed to collect in order to match the themes. For my primary research, I collected a variety of photographs from my visits to York, Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Langsett, Lake District, Wentworth Village and Wentworth Gardens. I have generated a variety of photographs which explored landscapes and elements within nature which creates the scenery. Also, for my primary research, I created observational drawings and sketches from my visits to galleries and landscapes. This included techniques such as continuous line drawings and quick sketches. For my secondary research I created Pinterest Boards which explored a variety of Paper Crafts, contemporary paper art and elements within nature. The elements within nature included wildlife and trees. For my contextual studies, I have explored contemporary paper artists which included Su Blackwell, Helen Musselwhite, Rob Ryan and Emily Hogarth. Also for my contextual studies, I have explored landscape artists which included Andy Goldsworthy, Claude Monet and John Constable. Finally, for my contextual studies I explored the “Arts And Crafts Movement” and artists within this period which included “William Morris”. For my primary research I visited galleries which included the Millennium Gallery in Sheffield, York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I believe it was beneficial visiting galleries as I could observe pieces visually and explore a variety of exhibitions and gallery spaces to collect primary research photographs, I found collecting primary research from the “York Art Gallery” most effective as I could observe real pieces from the works of Mark Hearld who presented his work in the exhibition “Lumber Room”. I have interpreted primary research through my sketchbook pages where I have created observational drawings from the images I have collected and used a variety of materials and layouts. I have also created collages to interpret my primary research and demonstrated my understanding of the photographs I have taken. This process was repeated through my secondary research and contextual studies which allowed me to present what knowledge and understanding I have learnt from individual pieces of work and information. Finally, to interpret research activity I have highlighted and analysed reviews and information I have collected through my proposed research to demonstrate the knowledge and opinions I have learnt from others. The research was also developed further into my design ideas, development stages and final pieces which allowed me present how I have interpreted these sources in order to create my final design outcome. I have found self-direction for my project challenging as I found it difficult to plan what I was going to complete and also the time given to complete the project. Also, I found self-direction difficult as I was only person within the class who followed these themes which made It difficult to collect feedback and opinions about my work as the audience didn’t know my project process and the research I have collected which was developed into my project. Throughout my project I have developed my confidence and skills through paper-cutting which was a difficult technique to achieve at the start of the project. I believe that I have adapted and developed my paper-cutting skills in order to work into a variety of materials and creating a range of different outcomes for my research and development. Also I have gained understanding and techniques through paper-cutting tools and identifying which equipment was the most effective method to use for my final project piece. Also I have developed my previous knowledge of creating paper and this was adapted to explore further paper techniques which included flowered press paper and 3D paper. Finally, I have applied practical skills through setting up my final piece for the exhibition. I believe that I haven’t managed my time efficiently within the studio practise as my final piece and elements took precious time away from my time-management.  Also I believe that I didn’t manage my time efficiently as I found annotating my sketchbook pages difficult to achieve within the time given. However, I used SMART targets within each studio practise lesson in order to set personal targets at the start of the day and reflect on my progress as the end of the task. I have also reviewed my progress by completing daily studio practise blogs and pieces that were made within my independent study. By writing the daily blogs, it allowed me to identify what elements I needed to complete for my project and review my progress for each studio practise and tasks I have achieved. I have used visual language through my annotation and blog entries to describe and explain my opinions of contextual studies and my indivudal work. I have also specifically used the terms lines and forms to analyse my paper-cutting outcomes and techniques I have used to achieve the pieces I have created. Also, I have focused with the term “colour” within my visual language as it was an important element towards my final piece as natural colours were used to relate to my project them. I have faced problems and changes through my production of my final piece but I overcame the issues through problem solving. A problem I faced was setting the design up on display through the suspension technique as I couldn’t combine the elements together. However, I overcame this problem and connected the pieces together through the material fishing wire and clips to attach them carefully. Also, a problem I faced with my final piece was that the pieces began to move and began through my maquette piece which had an impact through my final outcome and appearance. However, I overcame this problem and attached fishing wire from above the and underneath the piece which made it more stable and secure. Through my final project I have faced problems through developing my final ideas and outcomes towards my final piece. I have overcome the difficulties and explained my changes and improvements through annotations and blog entries. By exploring a variety of tools and materials, it has allowed me to solve difficulties and problems I faced when working towards my final piece and identifying which elements I will be taking further into my project.  I have planned, organised and prepared solutions for my project through creating 16 initial designs and developing them further to create 2 final design sheets. By creating a variety of initial ideas, it has allowed me to explore a variety of designs which gave me the confidence to develop them further into my project and prepare my final ideas for my project. Also, I have planned and organised solutions for my project work through creating homemade paper and a variety of samples to identify and analyse which material is the most effective. The homemade paper method was also developed further and I created further samples through creating 3D paper and flowered pressed paper. I have also created samples through exploring the technique “Origami” and paper crafts. This allowed me to explore a variety of techniques and identify which elements are most useful to take towards my final piece which allowed me to organise solutions for the final project piece. Also, to prepare solutions I have created a variety of maquette to explore techniques how to present paper-cutting work. This was relevant to my work as it allowed me to identify which techniques are the most useful and what I am going to take into my final project. The maquettes were inspired by images from my primary research which allowed me to gain inspiration from landscapes to create my own ideas. Also, the maquettes allowed me to analyse which technique I am going to be using for my final piece which was the “suspension” technique. This technique was developed to create my final project maquette which allowed me to prepare my final outline and solutions for my project piece. Finally, to organise my final project piece I have created design sheets which presented measurements and outlines and characters I will be including within the layout. This was relevant to my work as it allowed me to identify all the pieces separately which will be combined together to create my final piece. I believe that my project work is effectively as it presents my journey through my project from giving the context and theme “structure”. My sketchbook work explores the progress and inspiration I have collected through my research and development stages.  To improve my work, I would include further developed designs and colour schemes for my final piece as I believe I could analyse this element in more detail which will present my progress further towards my final piece. My outcome of my final piece is effective because I believe that the piece demonstrates the skills and techniques I have developed through paper-cutting. Also, I believe my outcome is effective as it combines the themes I have explored for my project to create a final outcome that demonstrates my understanding and interpretation of the theme.  I have enjoyed creating paper-cutting samples and pieces through my project as I believe that I have gained skills and techniques which have allowed me to adapt them to create a variety of samples. The pieces I have created explored the intricate details and skills I have learnt which I found the most effective within my project. I have gained confidence with this technique and I believe I will continue to develop this skill into the future. I have enjoyed this project as I have explored elements of illustration which is the career I am researching into and I have combined this with my passion for nature and wildlife. I planned to present my work for my final exhibition through completing a test experiment of my final piece within an exhibition space. This consisted off placing lights underneath my shelf suspension and connecting both elements together through fishing wire. By using fishing wire it allowed me to connect my work to the layout safely and avoid the risk of damaging the layout through the piece moving out of place and curving. To present my work, I connected my shelf and placed my final piece onto the design layout. I have presented a diagram within my sketchbook which highlighted how I was going to present my work and where the lights were going to be placed. By creating the layout space, it allowed me to visualise how the piece is going to appear within the exhibition and how the lights will give shadows to make my piece more effective. I have prepared for my Pecha Kucha presentation through taking a variety of photographs of my work and demonstrating my progress towards my final outcome. I have started to place my images on to a timed PowerPoint presentation and I have also taken notes down for what I am going to say when the photographs are on display. I have achieved what I was wanting to create for my project proposal as I have combined elements of my theme I wanted to explore and developed them to create my final project piece. I have used the proposed research and resources within my proposal which has helped me to gain knowledge and understanding from gallery visits and primary research. I have identified within my work the career and path I am wanting to explore within my sketchbook and final piece. I have explored illustration through developing paper-cutting techniques. I have achieved “context” for my “Unit 8” assessment criteria through creating my project proposal and mind maps.  To achieve “research” I have completed primary, secondary and contextual research. For “problem solving”, I have created paper samples, explored materials and created maquettes which were developed through to “Planning and Production”. For this element, I have continued to create paper maquette and samples. Also, I have explored paper-craft samples which includes origami and paper art. I have also created a final maquette for my project piece. Finally for “planning and production”, I have set SMART targets and deadlines throughout my project.  For “practical skills”, I have created my final piece through specific materials and equipment I have used. I have completed “Evaluation and Reflection” through completing on-going and final evaluation. For my on-going research I have completed daily blog entries and annotation through my sketchbook and sheet work. Finally for my “presentation” I will be completing a “Pecha Kucha” presentation which will include 20 images within 20 seconds. The exhibition will also be presenting my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment