Wednesday 1 February 2017

1st February Weaving Samples


On Wednesday 1st of February I completed my final samples and experimentations for my live project brief “Mother And Child” which explores my theme and interpretation of “fairground” and “seaside”. In the workshop, I continued to develop my confidence with using traditional Textiles methods which included Weaving and Embroidery. All the techniques used relates back to my final print outcome and design layout. Also, the techniques included experimenting with colour schemes which were chosen and considered for the project. The task allowed me to develop my confidence further to work independently to create a variety of samples which relate back to my final design which was developed from my visual sheet and progress. Also, by completing samples it has allowed me to create critical artist studies for the designer Shelia Hicks who uses weaving to create effective and colourful pieces. All the pieces created relate back to my choice of colour scheme and repeated pattern created through the design process. The task has allowed me to demonstrate independence in decision making in planning and developing creative solutions. Also, the task allowed me to select appropriate materials and processes to develop creative solutions for a creative art and design activity. Finally, the task allowed me to Apply practical skills knowledge and understanding of an audience to produce creative solutions for the “Mother & Child Project”.

To start the task, I continued to develop my confidence further with using the technique of weaving to create colourful and striking samples. For my colour scheme, I decided to use mint, pastel pink and purple as these colours complement each other and are very harmonious. These colours were also chosen as they have been taken from my visual sheet and design sheet which explores the choice of colour schemes used. To build up texture, I decided to create a weave which incorporated all colours together which gave an effective outcome with spirals of different colours used. I was pleased with this outcome and continued to use this technique with other samples and colour schemes. This included exploring the colour scheme red and yellow to create texture. The technique and outcome created inspired me to create samples and studies for my chosen artist Shelia Hicks. I decided to use this technique as the artist builds up a variety of colour within her work and displayed them through different shapes and surfaces. These minute samples allowed me to gain confidence with working at different scales and I was pleased with the outcome presented. Throughout the task, I continued to annotate my samples I have created previously within the workshop tasks to highlight all the materials, dyes and processes used. Next, I focused with embroidery which included working back into my samples to create characteristics and different surfaces within the pieces. I continued to use the colour yellow as this striking colour captures each individual shape perfectly but also connects to the colour scheme harmoniously. Also through embroidery, I continued to complete my artist studies of Jo Butcher who creates intricate pieces of embroidery which explores, trees, hearts and plants. I find her work inspiring as she incorporates lots of detail into tiny pieces through machine and traditional embroidery. All the outcomes are presented below.
Shelia Hicks Sketchbook Page and Sample

Traditional Weaving Technique
Next, I am going to complete further samples within the Textiles studio which will go towards my final outcome that will be a digital print of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment