Wednesday 1 February 2017

31st January Knitting Machine, Further Samples & Embroidery


On Tuesday 31st of January, I continued to generate further Textiles samples through a variety of techniques which included machine knitting, hand knitting and embroidery. The task included working into samples and creating fresh samples which incorporated my final chosen colour scheme and experimentation. The task allowed me to reinforce my samples to include further development and combination of techniques. It has allowed me to explore new threads which included metallic that related back to my project theme and interpretation. My development of working with the knitting machine has allowed me to gain independence and continue to follow health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury. Throughout the task I followed health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury. Firstly my hands were placed away from the machine to avoid contact with the blades and knitting needles. Bags were placed away from the machine to avoid tripping hazards. Finally I tied my hair back and placed my lanyard away from the machine to avoid getting caught in the knitting needles. For my samples I used the same colour scheme of pink and purple to relate it to my final chosen colour scheme. However a problem I faced with the machine was that the material was not effective as it broke easily through the machine causing the outcome to have gaps and include inaccurate measurements. Also, a problem I faced with the machine was that th knitting needles kept falling back onto the machine cause irregular pattern outcomes and gaps within the machine. However, I tried to maintain the 20 stitches and create and equal outcome for my sample. As I worked into the design I gained confidence with using the machine and combined two colours together effectively. Once I completed the outcome a problem I faced was that the ends of the knitting piece were falling apart. To solve the problem I casted the sample through placing it in a sewing machine which gave an effective outcome. The sample is presented below.
Knitting Machine with Chosen Wool
Knitting Machine From Different Perspective
Knitting Sample with Hooks
Final Knitting Sample Outcome

 Also, in the studio practise I continued to complete surfaces and samples through my previous experimentation of dying cotton fabrics. For my colour experimentation of my dyes I continued to use the same colour scheme of yellow but also allowed me to explore layers with different colours and outcomes. I emphasised the colour black onto these designs further which emphasised the dyed fabrics well and characteristics of the design. Due to the dyes being heat pressed and washed it caused the piece to crease which had an impact on my “Helter Skelter” design but my Dog Balloon outcome was effective and I was pleased with the appearance of the design. Through the screen printing surface I used gloves and aprons to avoid contact with the material through my hands and clothes. I also washed the work surface when completing the task to avoid the risk of colours damaging over students work. The outcomes are presented below, 
Print Outcome on dyed Yellow Surface


Background Screen Layer
 
Dog Balloon Outcome

Also, within the studio practise I continued to generate further weaving samples exploring my colour scheme and a variety of patterns.  I was pleased with the outcomes of my designs as it gave me the confidence to work independently to produce several designs relating to my layout and project. Through completing weaving, it has allowed me to gain confidence but also enjoy the technique further with working at large scales and developing a range of surfaces.
Weaving Samples with chosen colour scheme

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Also, within the studio practise it gave me the opportunity to work back into my sketchbook pages through depth annotation and allow me to analyse my samples through describing the dyes, materials, processes and finishes used. It has allowed me to analyse all the samples I have created and the variety of experiments I have used within the Textiles Studio. I was pleased with the outcomes of my samples as it was an area to improve on with my previous project. I believe that I have achieved a range of samples and completed this personal target for the project. It has allowed me to analyse my large scale final piece but also the miniature samples generated from my previous struggle of exposing my screens for the project. These miniature outcomes were useful as it has allowed me to generate a wide range of samples to explore techniques and surfaces.

 

Next I am going to continue to complete further samples and work back into my sketchbook.





No comments:

Post a Comment