Wednesday 16 September 2015

10th September Exploring Different Sketching Techniques Through The “Hands On Project"


On Thursday 10th September we officially started the “Hands on Project” where we created a range of hand sketches that were designed to explore different styles and techniques of drawing hands. In the lesson we explored continuous drawing, quick continuous drawing, drawing through contour lines, cross hatching, colour drawing and our own style of drawing. These different styles were presented through sketches of our own hands where we placed our hands into different positions to create a range of sketches that looked different on the page. This allowed us to try out our skills through observational drawing. All the sketches were placed onto one sheet of paper which was to show all the different techniques that we have done. This helped to identify how the different styles are presented and what were our strengths and weaknesses. The task was set because it was to demonstrate what skills we already have in art and design with drawing hands but also it was set to explore new techniques that we haven’t explored before. It allowed us to understand methods and skills through practising a range of sketches to evaluate what we feel confident with, what we can improve on and what we can practise throughout the project. Finally this task was set to demonstrate what we have learnt and how we have adapted it into our own individual designs and sketches.

Firstly, we used our own style of drawing to create a basic hand drawing which presented our skills that we already have and how we could use observational drawing to create the sketch. Next, we were given 2 minutes to create a quick continuous sketch that was a quick method to create my hand in a different position. We weren’t allowed to take our pencil off the paper which made the task fun and it also presented what we can create in a short amount of time. Then we created a cross-hatch drawing which allowed us to use shading and cross-hatching techniques. Next, we sketched hands by using contour lines which gave a skeleton layout when creating. Finally, we used colours to draw hands by using black paper to create a colourful, engaging drawing.

My strengths in the task was that I could draw shapes and lines to build up my hand layout which helped me throughout the task. I think it is important to draw shapes to build up objects because its gives a layout which can be altered and changed if necessary. It also allows you to work onto the design to create the layout you want and then eventually use colour and shade. Also, my strengths in this task was colouring and shading the different hands I created. I especially enjoyed the cross hatching task because I could create detail through the texture, pattern and different shades of my hand in different positions. It is important to use colour and shade because it create more characteristics into the design which makes it look realistic and engaging. My weaknesses in the task was that I struggled to draw my hand in different angles and get the basic layout of the hand shape. To solve the problem I kept practising the layout several times to build up my confidence to draw my hand. Also, to solve the problem I used shapes and lines to build up the shape which helped me to get the basic layout that I could add detail to. Another weakness I faced whilst completing the task was time management as I didn’t complete the sketches to the time limit I was given. To solve this problem I have taken my sketches to complete in my own time which I am going to time myself with to improve my time management skills. To improve on the task, I am going to continue drawing sketches of hands through these new methods and under a time limit, because I wanting to continue exploring new techniques that I have learnt and adapt them to my own knowledge because I am curious to try new skills.

Overall, the task was really enjoyable as it allowed us to demonstrate our own skills, understand new methods and techniques and to be curious when sketching and designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment