Tuesday 22 September 2015

22nd September "Principle Of Design"


Today we continued to complete our glossary pages for the “Hands On Project”. Previously, we explored the “Elements Of Art” for our glossary but today we focused on the “Principle Of Design” which is also going to be added into the book. The “Principle Of Design” is made up of:

·         Pattern

·         Contrast

·         Emphasis

·         Balance

·         Proportion/Scale

·         Harmony

·         Rhythm/Movement

All of these words above will be placed into the glossary but into today’s session I focused on the word “Pattern”. Before designing, I used my previous skill I learnt from last lesson and it helped me to become independent as I stretched out paper ready for designing. Next I moved onto designing where I wanted to create a hand related drawing that symbolised “Pattern”. So for inspiration I collected photographs that I was using for mono-printing and used one for an outline for my glossary page. I wanted it to relate to the word “Pattern” as the definition describes it as a regular arrangement that can be up of repeated shapes lines and colours. To match the definition I wanted to repeat the hand drawing I created to make a pattern and also make it repetitive. A problem I faced was that I wasn’t sure how to repeat the drawing and make it look identical. To solve the problem I used tracing paper which gave a basic outline that was easy to copy which made all the hands on the page look identical.

Outline of the hand pattern
After completing the identical outlines, I faced another problem as the hand drawings looked really simple and basic. To solve the problem I took inspiration from my Pinterest board and Henna Designs that I found to create my own pattern. I decided to use flowers and leaves as it created a "Henna" style pattern that was easy to repeat and trace. After creating the pattern onto one hand I repeated it identically using the same process as the outline which created a pattern design.
Tracing Paper I used for repeating the pattern
Outline of the patterned hands

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Next I focused on colour as it was also included with the definition of “Pattern”. For the material I wanted to use watercolour paints because it is a strong material for me and I feel confident using it as I can also include shading and tone. The watercolours also allowed me to be colourful which gave a really good effect when painting the hands in two matching colours.

Hand pattern page
In the task I felt confident with using photographs and sketching hands from them to create a glossary page that matched the definition “Pattern”. I felt confident with creating my own patterns that have been inspired by research I have collected from my Pinterest Board. Also, in the task I felt confident with using watercolours as it helped me to create colourful patterns that matched the definition for my glossary page. My weakness in the task was time management as I didn’t finish the page in the amount of time I was given. To solve the problem I am going to complete the glossary page in my own independent study so that I will finish it and start to create another glossary page.

Overall the task was really enjoyable as it allowed me to adapt what skills I already have and to develop further in the “Hands on Project”. It also allowed me to use what I have collected from my research to inspire me to create my own designs that relates to what research I have found. The task allowed me to use my own primary photographs to create my own individual piece. To improve, I will plan and manage my time efficiently so I will finish the piece in the time that I have been given on my timetable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment