Sunday 20 September 2015

17th September 3D Workshop


On Thursday 17th September I was involved in a workshop which was 3D abstract art. This was my first experience working with 3D elements and abstract art which made me unsure what to expect at the start of the day. I was really curious to find out about 3D art and I wanted to experiment and try new materials and tools. Abstract art is define as art that does not attempt to represent visual reality but instead uses shapes, colours, forms and marks to achieve an effect. At the start of the day we researched an abstract artist called Peter Mayer who creates 3D sculpture toys called “Shape Scapes”. These are made up of a simple constructions that are designed to stimulate playing with toys and this gave us inspiration for our first task. We were given shapes like “Shape Scapes” that had slots which meant that we could create a 3D abstract sculptures without no instructions and rules which made it unique. By working as a team the task allowed us to be creative and to combine our abstract skills and ideas.
Final 3D Abstract Sculpture we
created as a group
"Shape Scape" book we took inspiration
from.












After the first task we took inspiration and skills to create our own 3D abstract sculptures with new materials and tools. It allowed us to become independent and experience new methods and tools from 3D work. The materials and tools used were mount card for the sculpture, craft knives and a specific cutter to create slots to connect different pieces together. Before the task we were given health and safety rules that allowed us to avoid risking any injuries in the workshop. Whilst using the equipment we had to use cutting mats to avoid damaging the desks. Control must be maintained when using a knife and for straight lines we used safety rulers. Also, pressure must be controlled when using a knife and we should not to press too hard to avoid the knife slipping and causing injury to yourself. Finally, we had to be aware of others in the area and we should keep our other hand behind the cutting blade at all times. After being given safety rules we demonstrated our knowledge and understanding to create our own abstract pieces. I really enjoyed the task as it allowed us to build up a shape without planning or designing before to end up with a piece that is completely abstract. As a group we discussed where our sculptures would be placed, I thought that my sculpture would be placed on a farm as it has a resemblance of a bird which the group agreed with. The sample turned out really well as it resembled an abstract piece that was built up from shapes and matched visual reality by relating to a bird. The outcome also allowed me to make a judgement of my sample through abstract knowledge that I have learnt and how it related to visual reality.

Final Outcome from Task
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

After working independently and practising with tools we took our skills further to create larger 3D “Shape Shapes” by relating it to the “Hands on Project”.  We were given a brief to create a free form sculpture using our previous knowledge of “shape Scapes” that represents hands. Throughout the task we had to consider size, hand positions, use of shapes and how it can be used in other workshops. We were also given a set of rules which was a restriction to use cardboard, we had to work round the sculpture so it can be viewed from multiple perspectives, the sculpture had to be free standing and we had to think abstract. To start the hand I took inspiration from models we were shown before the task and drew a basic palm shape for the hand sculpture.
How I started to build up the hand
Next I decided to focus on the thumb as I thought it was a starting point to create the 3D shape. One of my weaknesses in the task was trying to think how I was going to slot and connect different pieces together at the start of the piece. To solve the problem I planned and pictured what I was going to do and continued to cut into the starting piece and create a variety of shapes. Eventually the hand started to build up and stuck to the rules and made it look 3D at all different angles.
Image of the hand being built up with the thumb
I developed what I learnt with the thumb and continued to build the hand with fingers and muscle tone. I focused with features with my hand and placed them onto the design. For the back I used circles to represent my knuckles which gave a 3D effect at the back. I also connected each finger on the hand by creating a rectangle shape that matches the skeleton of the hand. Eventually I created a hand layout but I faced a problem with balance.

Image of the hand that wasn't stood up freely.
To solve the problem with the hand not standing freely, I decided to create a base that would slot the hand into place. To keep with the “Hands on Project” theme I decided to create a base that would look like a watch so I got a long strip of paper and created a strap. This created a base that allowed the sculpture to balance freely. The abstract sculpture I created matched what the brief said, followed the rules, related to the “Hands on Project” and matched the definition of abstract and “shape Scapes”.
Final Hand Sculpture that stood freely
at the front.
Final Hand Sculpture from the back.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

In the task I felt confident in creating shapes and samples from scratch because I liked the idea of placing objects together without planning and designing. It allowed me to become independent and create a sample from methods I was shown to make an abstract piece. It allowed me to experiment which helped me gain confidence in creating sculptures. My weakness in the workshop was using the craft knife when cutting out shapes. I found it really difficult trying to cut out shapes with the tool because it wasn’t cutting the shape that I wanted perfectly so I had to use scissors. If I did the workshop again I would keep using the craft knife so that I would gain more practice and I would change the material as it was really hard to cut and shape.
Overall, the workshop was really enjoyable as it allowed us to experiment and play with 3D sculptures that I have taken and developed further to create my own pieces. It allowed me to be independent, try and adapt methods, experiment with new materials and use tools skilfully and safely. Also it allowed me to demonstrate how I interpret the definition “Abstract” and how I can use it for the “Hands on Project”. Finally, it allowed me to explore the human hand in detail and how it is built up through “Shape Scapes”. To develop my knowledge further I am going to research more abstract artists such as Picasso and Mark Rothko and how they create pieces of art through abstract designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment