Wednesday 16 September 2015

15th September "Elements Of Art"


Yesterday, I continued to work on the “Hands On Project” through studio practise. We researched the “The Elements Of Art” and explored new materials, skills and methods through drawing and sculpturing. Whilst in studio practise, we started to create a glossary that expressed our knowledge of words and definitions that are important in the Art and Design course. This glossary also allowed us to be creative as we expressed and presented what each word meant through drawing hands that relates to the “Hands On Project”. By using different materials and colours, it allowed me to be curious and explore range of methods that I can develop further in the art course. The glossary “Elements Of Art” that we started to produce will include following words:

·         Line

·         Shape

·         Colour

·         Form

·         Texture

·         Space

·         Value

All these words on the list above will include my own definition and be presented through different sketches, colours and designs. Also, more words will be included as the project continues, where I will be exploring workshops in print-making, ceramics, textiles, 3D and photography. It is important to explore these “Elements Of Art” as they are important in the course and they will be important in everyday life when working and designing in Art. Also, it is important to create a glossary as it allows you to become independent and create your own definitions to help you learn. By creating the glossary that relates to the project it will help me to develop my skills of creating a range of hand drawings and designs that will allow me to explore a range of methods and tools. Whilst in studio practise, I started to create my glossary and explore the words “Line” and “Texture”. To create the glossary we stretched paper onto a board and measured out A4 onto the paper. This method taught me a new skill which I will take on further throughout the project. For the “Line” page I used the material ink to create hand that was built up with a range of different lines. It also included facts about me which made it personal and expressed the skills I had. The design also related to research I collected on my Pinterest board which helped me to understand what research I have collected. After I completed the “Line” glossary page, I started to create the “Texture” page which I started to build up a hand through different materials that created different textures. It is important to create collages because it allows you to explore different materials. This task allowed us to be independent and to develop our research skills that we have learnt to create our individual glossary pages that are personal to you.

My strengths in the glossary task was the line drawing as I built up hand design through a range of different strokes and lengths which gave an effect that I was really pleased with. Also, my strengths in the task was trying out a new material Ink that I could use confidently to give an eye-catching line effect. Finally, my strength in the task was using different materials to start a collage effect for texture which I felt confident with and it also allowed me to try new materials that I haven’t used before which I enjoyed creating. My weakness in the glossary task was to write definitions for each word on the pages because I found it difficult to explain words to write onto paper. To solve this problem I wrote down what words related to them and wrote a range of sentences and picked the sentence I felt the most confident with. A problem that I faced when using ink was that I smudged the title of my glossary. To solve the problem I fixed the lettering and added extra lines on the letter to match the name of the title.

Also in studio practice, we explored wire sculpture through the “Hands On Project”. We used garden wire and wood to create a different hand sculptures that were abstract and unique. By exploring wire sculpture it allowed me to use and understand how tools work that I haven’t used before and to try new elements within art that is different from drawing.  Whilst exploring wire sculpture we had health and safety information given which was to wear safety goggles throughout the task to avoid injuring eyes. It is important to explore a range of different techniques and styles of art because it develops your individual art skills and increases your curiosity to try new things which builds up your confidence. My weakness from the task was that I found it really difficult to build up the hand into a 3D sculpture. However, I carried on and started to build up the shape outline of the hand. To improve I am going to practise more with wire sculpture and carry on completing the design.

Overall, Studio Practise was really enjoyable as I continued to learn skills, explore new materials and to become more independent when researching and designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment