Wednesday 9 September 2015

Domino Day Workshop



Yesterday as a group we explored sculpture and playful art through Dominos. We were guided through this process by James who taught us to create art in a playful way which the group didn’t expect at the start of the day through a classic game of Dominos. It is important to play as an artist as it releases the childhood through your work which makes it fun when creating a piece and expressing it to the audience. Also, it is important to play as an artist as it shows your individuality and personality through your artwork.

At the start we given guidance by James who told us to create models individually with Dominos. The elements we took forward into developing from the start of the day was the creative process and practising different sculptures which brought out our imagination. After working independently, we joined into teams to create further sculptures and patterns in a larger scale. We work as a team by agreeing on creating a design and taking everyone’s ideas and thoughts into consideration throughout the building process. Also as a team, we adapted ideas and helped each other to create one giant sculpture which expressed creativity and imagination through dominos. Creativity is important because it expresses who you are, your personality and also your individuality.  Being creative is a skill that is used for everything and it is important to have that skill because it will help you to create new ideas from your personality, thoughts and imagination. As a group we combined our creativity to create a sculpture which reflected our ideas and thoughts. We divided up our responsibilities by working in smaller teams within the group to work on certain areas of the sculpture. This worked effectively as increased our team work skills, communication skills and creating the piece in the time given. Our final piece, reflected on our ideas we did individually in a morning and it also reflected a theme of ancient Roman Buildings. After our individual group sculptures we linked the pieces together into different groups by using domino patterns which made the whole class piece look like a city.

When creating smaller models at the start of the day I encountered problems with the layout of my sculpture as the design wasn’t stable which lead to my design collapsing several times. To solve the problem, I explored different designs and I changed the layout which made it stable and this problem solving was adapted and taken into the group task. This helped me to adapt my skills into the group task. As a team we also encountered problems as the design we created was designed to larger scale which was a task to adapt and overcome. We faced problems by pieces falling and patterns falling around the sculpture. We overcame this and solved the solution by fixing the piece and learning from the mistake we did.

After the group task, the class together created a full domino piece that was placed around the classroom. This taught us how to use the space around us effectively to create a large final piece. When producing the final class piece, we linked all of our designs together through collaboration and we also worked together as a team throughout the task. We also linked our skills and ideas from the previous tasks in the workshop .The task also had problems but were solved as a team, some domino patterns collapsed whilst being created but as the class we helped each other out and the problem was fixed. Also a problem was faced when linking the pattern together but as a team we overcame the problem creatively and made the final full domino piece look fantastic.

I recorded the “Domino Day Workshop” by taking photographs throughout the day which showed the progress by me individually, group and full class. Also at the end of the workshop we created a mind map to reflect on what we learnt and achieved from the start of the session to the end of the day. By creating a mind map, it showed what skills I have collected from the workshop and what we have achieved as a group such as communication skills, team work and collaboration.

Throughout the day I used my time effectively when James set up different activities to be completed in certain amounts of time. This allowed me to plan what I was creating, explore both sculpture and patterns for a period of time and have time spare to pack away the domino blocks for group activities. This was repeated in the group activity and class piece.

My individual strengths in the task was the sculpture designing. I really enjoyed creating 3D sculptures from dominos that were eventually created into larger scale sculptures. I adapted and developed my 3D sculpture throughout the workshop which increased by creative skills. I think that I did work creatively in the workshop because it allowed me to think of ideas individually and design and adapt more ideas that I thought. I also think I worked creatively when working as a team as I was given advice and I helped others. Finally I built my strength with my social skills as I think I’ve improved my communication and team work skills within the class. To improve the whole class final piece I feel I could have explored different domino patterns as I think that was my weakness and I didn’t explore it enough. To improve I would explore new techniques and patterns with the dominos so it would be more engaging and creative when placed in the whole class piece.

The day overall was a great experience because it taught me and the group about play art and how it is important as an artist to explore and play with art. It has helped me individually to create and design 3D sculptures that I haven’t done very much of previously with an object that I wouldn’t expect to use. Also, the workshop was a great experience because it allowed me to meet new people in the class, work as a team and gain communication skills. Overall, the workshop has helped me within the art course and also socially with working as a team and a whole class. This first workshop will help me throughout my 2years on the course.