Thursday 19 November 2015

10th November Paper Sculptures and Sketchbook Work

On Tuesday 10th of November we continued to work into our sketchbooks for the "transcribing Caro project". Also in studio practise, we continued to explore different types of 3D sculpture. In the lesson we experimented with 3D paper sculpture. I was excited to explore paper sculpture as I have had experience with working and creating models in lessons I had before I started college. To start the day we watched a short video about and artist called Peter Dahmen who creates 3D paper sculpture designs. Then we took inspiration and instructions from the video and explore templates that the artist created for us to make our own 3D sculpture. The pages progressed from easy designs to more complicated designs as we gained more skills. After completing the first couple of simple designs, I moved onto the more complicated designs as I believe I had the confident and skill to complete them. A problem I faced with the difficult designs was that they were tricky to shape and fold as the patterns were really detailed. To improve next time I will change the scale of the difficult designs and make them bigger so that they will be able to fold and shape better. After exploring and experimenting with paper sculpture I focused back to my sketchbook work.
Paper Sculpture Outline
Simple Paper Sculpture Outline


















I previously said in my blog entry that I needed to complete the design work that I missed because the time was taken completing the workshop induction. So in the studio practise I continued to work with my design ideas and also make my sketchbook eye-catching and engaging. Firstly, I wanted to make the backgrounds of my pages interesting so I decided to split the pages into two sections where one half was covered in newspaper and the other half was left blank. I decided to use this layout for my design pages as I wanted to show my progress and how the different and developed designs related to each other. I also chose this layout because it allowed me to present my simple sketch ideas but also my colourful and developed ideas. To show my development I showed each stage of the design process and how I got to my final ideas. Once I sketched out all three designs I decided that I wanted to create design 1 because I felt the whole design matched the brief and reflected all of my research and Renaissance painting I transcribed into Caro’s work. I also believe that the design reflects Caro’s work and presents how I took inspiration from my research and transcribed his work. However, a problem I felt with the design was that I thought it was too simple and not enough detail was shown. To improve the design I developed it further onto another sketchbook page and collected advice from the ceramics teacher. After talking to the teacher, I decided to change the layout of my design and make it look like the columns are steps rising at different levels. I decided to change the layout to the description above because it related back to my renaissance painting research and made the layout more complex. Also to improve the design, I decided to engrave patterns into the ceramic columns to make the design more complicated and also relate to renaissance research. After coming up with my final design I created a development page that has a different layout to the design stage which made it stand out and presented my stages of development. I took all my improvements and placed them onto the page where I worked onto the page with developed plans and ideas.
Design 1 page first stage
 
 
Throughout the day I kept working at different sections and completing different elements on different pages. Sadly I didn't complete them all as I didn't annotate them and finish the whole pages. To improve I need to plan my design pages and manage my time efficiently throughout the day in order to complete the task and brief.

Overall the studio practise was useful as it allowed me to continue to create my sketchbook ideas and develop ideas for my final 3D sculpture. It allowed me to reflect with the designs I have created and develop them further to reveal my final idea that matches the brief. Finally the task allowed me to explore 3D paper sculpture elements that can be taken into consideration for the project and in the future for the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment