Monday 16 November 2015

3D Workshop Introduction And Design Stage

On Thursday 5th November, I was introduced to elements of the 3D workshop. It was important to complete this workshop as it taught me the safety and knowledge of each machines that I can use throughout the course. Also it was important to complete the workshop as I wouldn't be able to complete the brief for the "transcribing Caro" project. The workshop was a scary experience as I haven't explored the machines that we were going to learn about. However, the experience was useful as it reminded me of my previous knowledge of different materials available in 3D. Finally I was curious to explore the workshop as it allowed me to think about what materials I could use in the "transcribing Caro" project. Before the task we were given health and safety instructions that we followed throughout the task.

Throughout the workshop we followed the PPE (personal protection equipment) for the health and safety instructions. Firstly, all loose clothing had to be removed and hair had to be tied back to avoid the risk of being injured and getting trapped in machines by these elements. Bags were not allowed to be placed in the workshop room because they are a tripping hazard which is dangerous for a room surrounded by machines. Also, lanyards must be removed for our own safety as they can get caught in machines which makes it very dangerous when working. Finally, strong shoes must be worn in the workshop to avoid the risk of injury to your feet if any equipment fell on the floor. All of these instructions were followed throughout the 3D workshop introduction.
Also, in the workshop we followed two signs which were present to protect ourselves when using the machines.

The Symbols that we followed throughout the
workshop.
Firstly, before we started to use the machines we collected a block of MDF (medium density fibreboard) and measured out what size we wanted. This allowed us to use our maths knowledge and work independently to measure out the specific size that was required. After measuring, we collected a compass and drew a circle onto the block from the centre of the circle. Finally, we drew a shape in the middle that was going to be cut out in the workshop. This part of the task allowed us to work independently and use our maths skills to create a product which is ready to be used on the machines. Firstly, we used a pillar drill and learnt about the equipment basics on the machine. I felt confident when using the machine as I have used it previously at secondary school. The instructions given were a recap for me but I did learn something new which were the names of the specific parts of the machine. I was curious to learn specific parts of the machine as it will help me for the “transcribing Caro” project and further 3D elements in the course. The pillar drill is used to drill a hole into a material by lowering a drill that spins at a high speed. I placed my material onto the pillar drill and created a hole at the centre of the block. After following the instructions I drilled a hole into the block safely and independently either the knowledge I was taught. Next we focused on using a machine called the band saw.
Pillar Drill
Outline drawn on the block.
 The band saw is a machine that allows you to cut through a material to create straight and curved lines with the direction of your hand and the use of equipment. I was curious to explore the machine as I have never used it before and I wanted to experiment the equipment and skills behind it. For the task we had to cut the circle shape we placed on the block. When I started to use the machine I found it difficult to create a curve shape from my hand movement. To solve the problem I cut the shape out by cutting different sections that eventually created the final shape. A problem I faced was that the shape was not even once I cut the design fully. To solve the problem we explored another machine called a belt and disk sander. The disk sander was used to even my shape out and give a smooth finish to the piece. This machine is used at the end of a process to give an even, smooth finish to a piece. We used a disk sander on another piece of wood to demonstrate what this element can be used in future projects and how fast it sands to create a good quality, even finish. After completing the outline of the piece of block we focused on piece inside that block. For this process we used a jigsaw.
Disk Sander
A jigsaw is a machine that uses a thin blade to cut through material in curves. This process is really effective as it allows you to cut curves easily and create good quality designs on different materials. I placed the block onto the jigsaw surface and placed it where the blade went through the hole I created on the pillar drill. Then I started to cut a section of my design out which had a number of curves that allowed me to gain confidence with using the machine. Eventually, I cut a section of my design out on the jigsaw which made my workshop outcome complete. To finish the workshop we also explored the bobbin sander which uses a small bobbin that has sandpaper wrapped around it and it is spun at a high speed. To explore the machine we used a scrap piece of wood and used the sander to create a smooth curved surface. The final outcome of the piece is presented below.
Jigsaw

Bobbin Sander

Final Outcome
Overall, the 3D workshop was useful because it allowed me to learn about all the machines that are available for me use in the “Transcribing Caro Project” and throughout my art course. It has allowed me to gain confidence with using the machine and improving the skills I already know. Also the workshop has allowed me to use the machines safely with guidance that I will take and use independently for the future. The next step is to take the skills I have learnt and use them for the project and to decide what materials I am going to use and how I am going to create them.

After completing the 3D workshop, I went back to the studio practise to complete my design ideas and thoughts for the 3D sculpture task. For the task we had to create a minimum of 3 designs that related to the research by Caro and our Renaissance paintings. At the start of the task I felt like I was going to struggle in the process as the design stage had to incorporate a range of elements. Also, I felt the design process was going to be difficult as I was unsure where to start and how I was going to incorporate all the elements that were required. For our 3D sculptures we must include sections make from different areas in art which were ceramics, 3D workshop, print-making and photography. To solve the problem of starting the design process I wrote down all the elements I had to include and the brief that we were given. Also to solve the problem I started to look at my sketchbook work and draw a range of rough sketch drawings that were taken into my design stages.

For my designs I placed them into my sketchbook as I wanted to show the progress and development throughout the project in each different stages. I believe it's important to show evidence in your sketchbook as it shows your experimentation and research that has been used throughout the project and also been developed. After creating my first design idea, I wanted to create a Marquette as I thought it would help me to visualise the design better in 3D and how the elements would be placed. To make the Marquette I used a variety of card that had different surfaces and started to build up the design I drew onto paper. A problem I faced with creating the design was fixing all the elements together. To solve the problem I created slots that allowed the pieces to be stuck together. However, when I create the actual 3D design I am going to use a different method that I will solve when placing all the elements together. To represent the wire I used string to attach all the pieces together. Eventually, I created all the pieces that allowed me to plan and solve problems in 3D. Next time I am going to complete rest of the designs as I didn't have time to complete the designs in the time slot I was given.

Overall, the task was useful as it allowed me to plan and solve problems in 3D. Also it allowed me to demonstrate my planning skills and organise what I am going to create in the project. The next step in the project is to complete the design stages and start creating my final piece in all of the different workshops

No comments:

Post a Comment