Thursday 26 November 2015

Ceramics Workshop

On Thursday I started to create my 3D sculpture in the "transcribing Caro" project through ceramics. I was really looking forward to start the 3D sculpture as I think ceramics is the most important element in my design work as it holds and connects all the design together. I was also looking forward to start the project because ceramics is the key elements of the design and once I have created them it will help me when exploring other workshops for the sculpture. The task allowed me to solve problems in 3D and apply practical skills to create the final product. Also, the project allowed me to apply my knowledge that I have learnt in the previous ceramics task and use the methods within the workshop to create my final piece.

To start the workshop, I collected my sketchbook design ideas and maquette and discussed what I was going up create with the workshop leader. When talking to the ceramics leader I figured out the measurements I required and how I was going to make them look equal. A problem I faced when creating the design layout was placing the design so it wouldn't collapse and damage my design. To solve the problem I explored my maquette at different angles and figured out that by placing the Columns at a diagonal angle they can be place so that the structure will be safe to use. After coming up with the idea, I started to focus my design with the ceramic base. To create the base I collected eathernware and started to work into the clay to allow all the air to escape from the material so that it won't cause damage when being placed into the kiln. I felt confident with using the technique as I gained confidence in the previous workshop when creating ceramic hands. When the clay was ready to use I rolled it out evenly with the technique I used previously in the workshop. Eventually I got a even layout of clay ready to use. I problem I faced was that I was unsure with the measurements for my ceramic base from the maquette. To solve the problem I collected my maquette and decided to have a 2:1 ratio which meant my final design would be double in size from my original maquette design. After collecting the measurements I created the base which was ready and placed into the drying room. Next I focused on creating my first column that was going to be on the base. I decided to have the first Column also to be made from eathernware as it would match the ceramic base material and also look like the whole piece is connected together. I repeated the same process as the base and it was ready to be rolled out for the Column. To make the rounded column shape that I wanted I collected a plastic tube and placed newspaper around it. Newspaper was used because the clay wouldn't stick to the tube which allowed it to stand freely and ready to be placed into the kiln at the size I wanted. For the measurements I continued to use 2:1 ratio from my maquette and I measured the size I wanted to create on the newspaper. To wrap it around the tube I placed the tube onto the clay and collected the surface that the clay was on and started to roll it which allowed me to cover the whole tube. Once the tube was covered in clay I placed the object at an angle and removed excess clay that wasn't needed to reach the measurement I placed on the newspaper. To join both ends of the clay together securely I used earthenware glue and made little marks into the clay to allow both pieces to join together. Once I joined the pieces together I faced a problem as the joint piece had a rough surface which wasn't on my design. To solve the problem I collected a ceramics tool called a kidney bean and smoothed off all the edges that were rough. On my design all the columns are made from different materials so I focused next on the stoneware column. I repeated the process that I did for the earthenware material and I felt more confident using stoneware because I have used the material before in the previous workshop. I noticed when using the different materials that they had different textures and this made them unique to work with. I found stoneware most effect to use because I've had previous experience with the material. I repeated the process for creating the Columns but used stoneware glue instead to match the material and give a good quality surface. I found working with porcelain the most difficult material to work with. The problem I faced using the material was that I the substance was really soft compared to the other materials so it made it difficult for me to shape and roll into to create the surface I wanted. However, I overcame the problem and produced two produced porcelain columns that had a smooth surface and correct measurements that were ready to roll. I created two columns for each material I used which came to a total of 6 columns. After I created them I moved onto decorating them. To match the brief “Transcribing Caro” I placed strong abstract patterns and shapes onto the columns. I also wanted to incorporate the research I collected from my renaissance paintings so I took inspiration and combined both ideas to create patterns. Sadly, because of time management, I was unable to decorate the porcelain columns. To improve next time I will plan my time when completing tasks in the ceramics room.

The Final Outcomes

The Modelling Process
Stone Ware Close up final outcome
 Overall the workshop was useful because it gave me the confidence to start the 3D sculpture in the “Transcribing Caro” project efficiently. Also the task allowed me to apply practical skills and methods to start and create my 3D sculpture. Finally, the workshop allowed me to solve problems through 3D techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment