Thursday 26 November 2015

17th November Studio Practise

On Tuesday 17th November we continued to complete sketchbook work in our studio practise. The studio practise allowed me to apply my research to support solutions and development of the 3D project “Transcribing Caro”. Also the task allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan what I am going to create from my initial ideas and sketchbook work I have created previously.  The studio practise allowed me to use my research skills and discover more artists for my secondary research. Finally, the studio practise allowed me to continue creating my sketchbook pages and allow me to explore different layouts and materials.

Firstly, I wanted to complete some secondary research so I decided to collect some information about the artist called Frank Stella. I decided to collect some secondary artist research because it allowed me to be become more inspired by abstract artworks which I thought will be incorporated into my design process and development. In my independent research I collected background information about Frank Stella and the art movement he was in. I also collected information about individual pieces and what materials he uses. It’s important to complete secondary artist research as it allows you to be inspired by artists and learn about different materials and demonstrate your knowledge by replicating pieces that you have found. Also it’s important to collect secondary artist research because you can take inspiration from the pieces ad create our own designs inspired by them. Frank Stella is an abstract artist and painter who creates pieces that includes shapes and multi-colours. He creates 2D and 3D pieces that are very abstract and they are built up in a variety of shapes. Frank Stella relates to Anthony Caro because they both use abstract shapes in pieces and a variety of bright colours. Also, both artists relate to each other because they both create 3D abstract pieces that are very eye-catching and engaging. My favourite Frank Stella piece is “Juam” because it’s a very eye-catching piece that uses a variety of materials to create a collage effect. After collecting images, I started to create the backgrounds and designs for my Frank Stella Pages. For my first page, I decided to take inspiration from one of the pieces and collage the background with this particular design layout. A problem I faced was that the original painting was made from acrylic paint and I am not comfortable with using the material. However, I overcame the problem and used my own watercolour paints that gave the same appearance and it looked really effective. After creating a background for the piece I focused with the “Juam” Frank Stella inspired page. I wanted to create my own piece inspired by “Juam” because I found the piece engaging and I felt I could create my own piece that incorporated the “Transcribing Caro Project”. To start the page I placed different surfaces onto the paper and built it up to create a 3D texture like the Frank Stella Painting. Then I placed some ink sketches that were on the original “Juan” piece which related back to the original layout. Also, in the studio practise I continued to finish extra details that were missed on my previous sketchbook pages which made them complete and ready to be annotated. A page I completed was my final design layout which I started in my independent study. By completing this page it allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and prepare solutions.
The next step in the “Transcribing Caro” project is to continue to complete my sketchbook annotations and development for my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment