Sunday 29 November 2015

19th November Print-Making and Photography.


On Thursday 19th of November, we continued to explore workshops to complete our 3D sculptures for the "Transcribing Caro Project". In the workshop we explored print-making in the morning and photography in the afternoon. I was really looking forward to completing print-making in the task as I enjoyed exploring the subject previously in the task. I was curious to explore photography in the workshop because I was unsure how we could incorporate the "Transcribing Caro" project into the task. However both of these subjects allowed us to apply our practical skills and methods with solving problems in 3D elements. Before we started the task, we were asked to collect images for print-making and have a design ready to be copied. For my design, I wanted to incorporate architecture because that's what Caro was inspired from when designing sculptures. Also, I wanted to incorporate my renaissance research as Caro took inspiration from Renaissance paintings and created 3D sculptures from the strong architecture shown in the paintings. I decided to combine both of these elements and created a layout that had a range of architecture buildings at the bottom and a Renaissance style pattern at the top. For the buildings I decided to simply them to emphasise the strong architecture they present. This was also inspired by an artist called Julie Mehetru who creates pieces that include strong architecture buildings.Also,I wanted to include a Caro style pattern at the top because I wanted to relate it back to the research I collected from my primary images. After coming up with an idea, we were given a brief introduction and a set of key words for the task. Dry-point etching is a process where you engrave into a surface with an etching needle to create a pattern. Also, we were reminded about key terms in print making that we used in the last project which was La Poupée and Chine Collé.Next we were given health and safety instructions that we followed throughout the task. When printing, loose clothing must be removed to avoid getting caught in printing-rollers. Also, hands must be kept away from the rollers to avoid getting caught in machines. These instructions were followed throughout the task.


To start the task I placed my etching plate on top of the design and started to engrave into the surface. As the piece was transparent, I copied the design straight from the drawing. I problem I faced with etching the design was that it was very difficult to engrave onto the surface as it kept moving from the design below. To solve the problem I collected a new etching plate and stuck the design onto the surface so that it wouldn’t move. After creating my etching plate I took it to the printing area. To place the ink effectively onto the surface, it had to be spread onto the etching plate with a piece of card. Once the ink covered the plate, we used newspaper print to remove excess ink and start to see the design more clearly. To finish the ink process we had to use paper to remove any excess ink left and create a smooth surface ready to print. For my first print I decided to use paper as I didn’t feel confident with using other materials. Next I placed the plate under the roller and then it revealed a finished layout that had an effective print. I repeated the process and used different colours and materials to create a variety of prints. I also created a La Poupée print that used a variety of colours which was made by placing different colours on different areas of the etching plate. Finally, I decided to create a print on a piece of MDF because that related back to my design layout where I am going to place my print on a piece of wood. The overall outcome was really effective as it presented the whole design clearly onto the surface. After experimenting with inks, we placed our designs on the drying rack and cleared all the work space away. The print-making task was really useful as it allowed me to plan and organise for my 3D sculpture by experimenting on different surfaces. In the afternoon we went into photography to complete the next workshop.
Design Layout at the top inspired by
secondary research.

Final Design Layout
At the start of workshop I was curious to explore photography because I was unsure how it was going to relate to the “Transcribing Caro” project. When I arrived at the workshop we were given a task which was to create an interesting, abstract paper sculpture that was going be taken into the studio. The piece we created had to be 3D like Anthony Caros work and incorporate an abstract layout in the design. Before we started to create our designs we were given instructions about health and safety which we followed throughout the task. As we were using craft knives, we had to be careful when using them as they can be very dangerous. We also had to use a cutting mat on the surface to avoid damaging surfaces. Also we had to use a metal ruler to avoid cutting yourself when cutting straight lines as craft knives can easily move out of place. These instructions were followed throughout the workshop. For my design I decided to create a 3D hanging sculpture that was made up of really thin pieces of paper. I decided to create this layout because we were going to take them into photography so I thought it would create effective shadows and lighting. I took inspiration from feathers and created two paper shaped layouts that were joined together and hung up in the air by another piece of paper. After creating my design we took them into the photography studio.
First part of the 3D paper sculpture

Final 3D Paper Sculpture

Photography Studio where we placed our 3D sculptures
onto.
As a group we took a variety of different images from all of our sculptures at different angles and positions. To make the photographs look interesting we included a filter in which you take a photo of a colour and set it as a filter background to create different colours on the camera. This gave a really interesting effect as it showed different shades of colour, shadows and lighting. Also when taking photographs, I took a variety of images in a black and white setting which made the overall photographs look really effective and unique. I really enjoyed taking photographs of our sculptures because it allowed us to gain confidence with using the camera and develop the skills we already have from the previous workshop. I also enjoyed taking photographs because there was no rules and we could take a variety of photos in different colours and angles. Also to make the photographs and sculptures look interesting we changed the lighting in the room and where they were placed. For my 3D sculpture it was hung on a tripod which gave a really effective look as it gave shadows at different angles from above and below the sculpture. Some of the photographs I have taken are presented below.





























































Overall the photography workshop was useful because it allowed us to apply our practical skills and methods to solving problems through 3D sculptures. It also allowed us to create more abstract 3D sculptures and use them to collect different shadows from a variety of angles. It was important to explore this workshop because I was taught it related back to Caros work as the artist considered shades and lighting when placing his sculptures in galleries and also creating them. Both workshops were really enjoyable and it allowed me to explore and plan through 3D work.

No comments:

Post a Comment