Monday 3 October 2016

Felt Making


In my independent study, I continued to explore further textiles techniques and methods which I haven’t previously explored before. The technique I explored was felt making which is a process of building up a variety of wool and joining them together to create a strong piece of material. Then the process is developed and adapted with a variety of colours and patterns to create effective outcomes. Felt making technique can also be taken further into another process called needle felting which I will be exploring next with my final felt-making outcomes. The technique allowed me to gain confidence and work independently to create a variety of develop samples and patterns. Also, the process allowed me adapted the technique and create individual patterns with a variety of colours and surfaces. Finally, the process allowed me to create samples which related to my project “The natural world” as I incorporated my ideas and inspirations throughout the task such as flowers.

Throughout the task, we followed Health and safety instructions to avoid the risk of injury when completing the technique. Gloves were worn throughout the task when handling the material “sheep’s wool” as there is a risk of an allergic reaction and irritation to the skin when completing the process.

To start the task, I collected the materials and equipment to complete the technique which includes

·         Towel

·         Bubble Wrap

·         Garden Mesh

·         Warm water and fairy liquid

·         Cloth

·         Kettle

All the equipment above are combined together to create handmade felt. After gaining the equipment, I collected the wool and started to break down the material into small strands which are built up to create the material. I placed the strands of wood landscape and horizontally as it would give an equal layout and surface to create the felt. Once the layout was complete, I placed the layout onto bubble wrap and used the garden mesh to cover the surface to allow water to cover the piece. Next, I placed warm soapy water onto the surface which was absorbed by the fibres and ready to be placed into the towel. The felt is then wrapped into the towel and rolled vertically and horizontally to allow the surface to be equal in shape. After repeating the process, I transferred the felt onto cloth and wrapped the pieces together which was placed into boiling water. Once the piece of felt was left in the bowl of boiling water, I placed the material onto the drying rack to create the final outcome. I repeated the felt-making process and developed my techniques to include patterns and colours. To relate my project to the “natural world” I decided to include a pattern of flowers as it related back to my research and develop of the theme. Also, I decided to use the pattern of flowers as they are a simple shape that can be transferred through felt easily. To include the pattern I collected the wool and started the build-up the shapes with water. This gave an effective 3D outcome and this was placed onto the surface of the layout which was ready to be wrapped through the towel. However, a problem I faced with the pattern was that the outcome wasn’t effective as the pieces of wool fell from the layout. To improve next time I will use more water and repeat the process thoroughly in order to maintain the design and shape. My outcomes are presented below.


Colourful wool

Wool Sample


cloth which transferred the felt outcome.

Final outcome which shows the pattern has changed and
it has become less effective.

First outcome which demonstrates my knowledge and understanding of the technique which
has been developed with different patterns and surfaces.


Final Flower outcome on the drying rack.

Felt outcome after the wrapping the piece in a towel.

First outcome on the drying rack.
Overall, I am happy with the outcome of the task as I have gained a new skills and techniques which I will develop further throughout the course. I have enjoyed creating patterns and surfaces within the layout as it has expressed my personality and thoughts towards the project “natural world”. Next I am going to take my samples and develop them into another technique called “needle felting”.

No comments:

Post a Comment