Monday 3 October 2016

Needle Felting


Needle Felting is a process of interlocking wool fibres together through stabbing them together with a needle. The wool fibres tangle and bind together to create a strong material and finish. To complete this method I used my previous workshop felt making outcomes to create this process. For the design I decided to use my white felt outcome as I wanted to explore different patterns and designs within the surface. For the tools and equipment I used a needle, sponge and a selection of wool to create patterns. Throughout the task, I followed health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury when completing the task.  A sponge was used to protect the surface of the table and allow me to create the movement safely when interlocking the fibres together. When creating the process you must keep your attention towards the design as it can cause a risk of injury to the hand if distracted. Finally, when I could I kept my fingers away from the needle to avoid the risk of injury. This was maintained throughout the task. For my design pattern, I decided to relate the outline to nature and my inspiration of flowers. Previously, I placed flower pieces onto the design when creating the felt. However, once the fabric dried those pieces fell away from the surface. To solve the problem, I used needle-felting to combine them both together securely which built up the design accurately. The design outcomes are presented below.

Final Outcome


Needle I used to create the design.

The materials obtained from my felt-making

The sponge equipment I used to create the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment