Saturday 18 March 2017

15th March Visual Sheet Development


 

On Wednesday 15th March, I started to develop and create initial ideas for my final piece and development through visual sheets. A visual sheet is a page filled with initial surface and pattern designs which has been inspired by my research and understanding of my chosen project "industry".  For the visual sheet I was influenced by my research from New York and exploring "global industry". Also, within the studio practise I continued to work into my sketchbook through paper cutting and developing my understanding of the project. The visual sheet combines my primary, secondary and artist studies together and emphasises my influence and inspiration gained from research. The workshop has allowed me to use research, analysis and evaluation to develop for my chosen subject. This includes developing confidence through paper cutting technique to create effective outcome within my sketchbook. Also, the workshop allowed me to plan, organise and produce initial outcomes towards my final piece and development of experimentation and samples. Finally the workshop allowed me to solve practical, theoretical and technical problems within the process of designing my visual sheet. The workshop has allowed me to achieve independence and continue to develop my project and demonstrate my interpretation effectively.

To start the workshop I started to work back into my sketchbook through paper-cutting. This technique emphasises areas of my primary research which includes strong architecture and industrial cities across New York. The process has been developed previously in projects and I have gained confidence with this technique. Throughout the task I followed health and safety in order to avoid the risk of injury. Whilst cutting I used a Cutting mat to avoid the knife slipping. Also, I used a metal knife to maintain the equipment from moving out of place. Finally, I placed hands away from the knife and cut the objects moving away from my hands to avoid the risk of injury. From my primary images I worked into my photographs and emphasised the structure through cutting out specific shapes that built up the building and outcome. This gave an effective outlook and presented a 3D tone through the development of the piece within my sketchbook. I adapted my pieces further and worked into each individual photograph to create a scene within my sketchbook. Then I developed the background of my piece further and worked into the layout to create a city scene outcome. The outcome was effective and I was pleased with the development. I am going to continue to work into the page further and develop the technique further to adapt to my theme.
 
 
Sketchbook Development

Landscape Design Outline

Painted Background Layout
 
Next I focused creating my visual sheet and developing my first initial idea. For the background, I decided to use square shapes and rectangles to develop the form and shapes of industrial buildings and structures. The first piece was a landscape and horizontal design so I wanted to place the idea across the page. To emphasise the "elements of design", I decided to use the key term "repeat" and "scale" to emphasise a landscape design with buildings. All the buildings drawn have been taken from my research to the city and use iconic buildings such as Empire State, Wall Street and Freedom Tower to emphasise "industry". I used tracing paper to create an effective, repeated, accurate pattern within the surface and gave the outline for the use of material gouache to be placed onto. For my colour scheme, I decided to use red and blue as they are contrasting colours which emphasise the strong structures within the foreground of the building. This gave an effective outline and I used a pattern of stripes to emphasise the American flag and "American Dream" topic through the industrial buildings. This is also reinforced through the colour scheme and relates to the American Flag which emphasises my research obtained through the project. I was pleased with the outcome and I am going to work into my design further within the workshop to create a final outcome of the initial idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment