Thursday 23 March 2017

22nd March


On Wednesday 22 March, I continued to develop my second visual sheet through looking at the aspects of "coal-mining" through local industry and the "strike movement". The initial surface design has been influenced and inspired by the event at Orgreave which occurred around the Strike Movement which was described as a war between the miners, (workers union) and the police. This conflict was significant within the strike movement and incorporated my research through political justice and how it has impacted lives. Through my development of the work I incorporated influence from my artist research through the works of Grayson Perry, Keith Haring and Peter Kennard. Also, within the workshop task, I continued to work back into my sketchbook through generating samples of "Batik" taken from Textiles and "Screen-printing" to produce Andy Warhol samples and outcomes. The task allowed me to work back into my sketchbook to produce a variety of different samples to allow me to emphasise a diverse range of materials and surfaces used. Also, the task allowed me to work independently within the Textiles studio to produce effective samples and outcomes with the techniques I have previously used. It has allowed me to gain further confidence with the techniques used and gain skills learnt from problem-solving and over-coming them. Through my sampling of Andy Warhol I have gained the technique and skill of a new method of screen-printing which will me to adapt and develop this further into my project to produce accurate and effective samples.  The task has allowed me to plan, produce and organise initial surface designs and outcomes towards my development to the final outcome. Also, the task has allowed me to develop research, analysis and evaluation for my chosen subject to create a second Visual Sheet. Finally, the task has allowed me to solve practical, theoretical and technical problems within the Textiles workshop and studio in the process of creating samples and outcomes.


To start the task, I went to the Textiles studio to produce some Batik Samples to allow me to work back into my sketchbook and research generated. It allowed me to emphasise my knowledge of a diverse range of media and the skills I have generated from completing the course. The samples reflected primary research through the project and were incorporated back into my sketchbook to support my research.

Throughout the task I followed health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury. Hands were placed away from the batik pots and wax to avoid the risk of burning and contact with skin. Also, contact was avoiding with the tool to avoid the risk spilling hot wax onto skin and surfaces. Finally when using the iron, hands were placed away from the surface to avoid risk of burning and contact. These were maintained throughout the task and aprons and gloves were used to prevent materials and substances on skin.

Before completing the Batik sample, I drew outlines to follow to gain an accurate outcome. This included a study Brooklyn Bridge, surface design within Grand Central Station and Graffiti within the city. The Batik sample emphasises patterns and surfaces through texture and depth and I created strong lines and tones from this technique.  A problem I faced with the outlines was that the tool was less effective causing spillages and damages to the outcome of the design. To improve next time I will place less wax into the tool to avoid this problem and also create a better outcome. Once the samples were created I allowed them to dry and then I placed coloured dyes onto the surface to emphasise the lines further. I worked into this colour scheme and used tones and shadows to create sunset scenes and strong outcomes of buildings. I was pleased with the outcome of these designs and the colour scheme used. I have gained confidence with this technique and continue to use this further towards my project the outcome is presented below.

 


Outcome from Brooklyn Bridge
Exploring New York Street Art Samples
Batik Sample
Colour Scheme
Exploring Grand Central Station
 I faced a problem with my artist research and gallery visit of Andy Warhol as I was unsure how to create his work to suit the style and technique he used. I discovered that I could create a screen-print sample through a process using Stencils which is a fast process used by artists to produce a variety of samples. This allowed me to generate a critical study of his work and develop my skills in order to complete the task. I decided to create a print around Andy Warhols famous "Soup Cans" which were collected and observed from my visit to the MoMA Gallery. The process included working with stencils and photocopying his piece to gain the font and logo of his works. I used a cutting mat to achieve the font and stencil which were going to block the screen to allow the colour to go through to reveal the outcome of the layout with the font on display. Whilst cutting the font I faced problems as it was intricate and caused to break easily within the piece. However to solve the problem I connected the piece back together with tape and still maintained the accurate logo. Once I captured the piece, I placed it onto a piece of paper and placed the screen above the layout ready to be printed. To capture the bottom area of the piece, I used news print to block the area aswell. Once the set up was completed I used the same process as screen-printing and used paper printing ink to transfer onto the layout accurately. A squeegee was used to transfer the Magenta colour onto the surface which I have previous knowledge and experience of using before.  This colour was used to reinforce the critical study of Andy Warhol work. Once the screen was coated it revealed the outcome of the design which are presented below. The technique was useful as it was a fast process with accurate results. I was pleased with the outcome as it allowed me to complete further critical studies and emphasise skills I have achieved within the course. This process was repeated to produce a variety of samples and outcomes. The pieces are presented below.

Samples Outcomes
Samples
 
Stencil Outcomes
Stencil Outline
Next I focused back into my visual sheet which explored the conflict between policemen and miners during the strike and specifically Orgreave. I wanted to capture this subject as it was an important area within the strike and connects to my subject of "industry" and "justice" effectively. For the layout I used a repetitive pattern of circles which has been taken from Union flags I have previously researched and which will be useful to create a repeat pattern. Once this was layout was created I worked into the design to create characters conflicting. This was developed from research during the miners’ strike and I used two contrasting characters to emphasise this movement. The drawings were illustrations and I developed the style and outlines from Grayson Perry’s work which emphasise the characters within the piece and contrast with the harmonious colours. In between the characters I placed a pit lamp to highlight a divide between two sides and this was taken from my studies of pit lamps through my research. For my colour scheme I used the colour black to symbolise the colour of coal and studies of black and white images taken from the Orgreave event. Also, the colour scheme also gives the impression of conflict. For my harmonious colours I have used red and yellow as they were presented from a variety of Strike movement campaign colours. This also made the circles in the foreground become more striking and capture the illustrations well within. I was pleased with the outcome of the design and I believe that I am going to incorporate this further through development. I believe that the design will work well with other elements combined together to create my surface outcome and it incorporates my research well. The outcome of my piece is presented below.

Surface Design outcome

Final Outcome

Next I am going to complete my second visual sheet and develop this further to create my final outcome and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment