Sunday 12 March 2017


On Thursday 2nd of March I continued to develop my research boards further through looking at the aspect of "global industry" and "justice” through my visit to New York City. The research sheets reflects the areas I found most inspiring from my visit and which will contribute towards my project and development through my sketchbook and sheet work. The research sheet continued to allow me to use a range of materials and the build-up of collage to create and effective outcome and result. The task allowed me to continue to identify my initial ideas and research undertaken through my primary research. It emphasises the areas which are going to inspire me through my development of the theme the most and the variety of resources I have taken. Also within the workshop, I started to generate critical studies through my artist research of Keith Haring who creates graffiti and campaigning artwork across New York City. It has allowed me to develop my confidence through the knowledge of Lino cutting and developing boards. Also, it has allowed me to reinforce the skills gained and adapt them to my artist’s style in order to complete and effective study. As I have generated Lino cuts within the workshop it has allowed me to prepare and develop them in the print studio within the next week of the studio. The task has allowed me to use research and analysis to develop solutions for the chosen project theme of "industry and justice". Also it has allowed me to specify and emphasise the area of "global industry" I find most inspiring.





To start the task I developed a collage of my primary research collected from New York and built up the piece with textured layers. As I wanted to symbolise New York through imagery, I developed an apple outline to symbolise the nickname of the city "big apple". Through this layout I incorporated industrial landscapes, buildings and attractions I find most inspiring and influential. To capture the Art Deco style and golden colour scheme I used paper surfaces to build up a textured border. I found this very effective and highlighted areas I found most inspiring. Through my research sheet, I wanted to incorporate "Justice" and this included my research taken from Donald Trump protest which contrasted with the industrial background. This was developed through my layout and created two contrasting subjects merged together within the sheet. I was pleased with the outlook as it identifies the subject matter and specific elements that contribute to this. Through my board I started to develop Statue of Liberty study through the choice of materials. For my research I continued to use a range of materials to emphasise my variety of skills. This included water colours, pencils, ink, pastels, oil pastels, gouache and acrylic paint. To create the attraction I decided to build up the piece through water colours as I felt this would capture the structure and tones well within the piece. Also, this material would allow me to capture the rust and damage within the piece through weather and aging of the material used. I was pleased with the outcome as it allowed me to gain an effective study with facial features and tones captured throughout. Next, I continued to use water-colours to capture the Freedom Tower, as the image demonstrated captured the New York sky through mirrors and glass. I felt watercolours was the most effective to capture the light tones and shades of blue within the strong structure of the building. It emphasised the buildings structure through the build-up of glass that combines together to create the incredible building. Through my research sheet, I decided to use ink and gouache to capture the “freedom of speech and expression” of graffiti across the city. These harmonious colours worked well and allowed me to make the piece engaging within the surface of the design. To improve next time, I would use a variety of ink colours to capture the piece more effectively.

Collage Layout
Final Collage Layout
Through the afternoon, I decided to prepare for my critical artist research studies through creating Lino outcomes which would be ready to use next week within the print studio. I have previous knowledge of Lino-cutting and I wanted to expand my knowledge further to capture the artist’s style. The technique was used to create a critical study as the artist creates graffiti and prints for his artwork which have been displayed across New York City. The task allowed me to develop my confidence with using the technique further to adapt to style and fonts used. Also the task allowed me to work independently in order to achieve Lino outcomes safely. Throughout the task, I followed health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury. Firstly, a board was used to avoid the cutting tool moving out of place through the direction of the cut. Also, whilst cutting, the blade was placed moving away towards the hand to avoid the risk of injury. Finally, hands were placed away from the lino-board to avoid the risk of injury and the blade moving out of place. As I developed my confidence with the technique I created effective outcomes and strong textured lines. At first, I struggled with the task as the blade moved out of direction causing damage to the outlook of the piece. However, I gained confidence and produced 3 outcomes and to improve next time I will be using the blade carefully when creating corners and letterings within pieces. Overall, I am pleased with the outcomes and they are demonstrated below.
Producing Lino Outcome
Lino Boards With Drawn Design

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Final Outcome Layout
Next, I am going to produce these prints to obtain critical studies and outcomes of Keith Harings work and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment