Saturday 18 March 2017

16th March Visual Sheet Development


 

 

 

 

 

On Thursday 16th March, I continued to develop initial ideas for my visual sheet for my progress of the final project of "Industry and Justice". The first board develops the research obtained through primary, secondary and artist studies which have all contributed and influenced my progress through the surface design stage. The sheet was continued to be influenced and inspired by my New York research and the development of buildings and strong structures across the city which emphasises "global industry". The workshop has allowed me to develop research, analysis and evaluation for my chosen subject of "industry" and "justice". Also, the workshop allowed me to plan, organise and produce initial surface designs and outcomes towards my final development. Finally the workshop allowed me to solve practical, theoretical and technical problems within the process of designing my visual sheet.

To start the task, I continued to work back into my first initial idea which was a landscape scenery filled with iconic industrial buildings and the colours of the American flag. Within the workshop I worked back into the design and incorporated illustration and details of the strong structures and shapes demonstrated. To emphasise the foreground I decided to keep the buildings the colour white and use the colour black to emphasise the intricate details and patterns of the buildings. I was pleased with the outcome of the buildings as I felt I captured the iconic structures and features that people know well which worked effectively within the surface of the design. However a problem I faced with the design was that it was repeated and I struggled to capture accurate patterns and surfaces on each building. To solve the problem I used a photocopier which gained an effective outcome and made the overall appearance look repeated and accurate through the surface of the design. I was pleased with this outcome which gave me inspiration and an initial idea towards my final outcome. As the design was landscape and horizontal, I believe that the outline was effective to use and I could create layers exploring all the aspects of industry to create the print. As I work into the project I am going to continue to generate and develop ideas further throughout the weeks. The outcome of the design is presented below.

Repeated Design Outcome


Layout of my Visual Sheet



 

Next, I focused on exploring "justice" gained through my artist research and New York City. As I visited the city a big aspect was following the "American Dream" through signs and symbols such as the Statue Of Liberty. I wanted to incorporate this topic and also include the words around the meaning. The powerful words explore freedom and equality through America which people are expressing through political changes and the protest I visited around New York. This related back to my artist influence of Grayson Perry who expresses typography within his work and highlights meaning behind the artworks. Also, this was influenced by the works of Peter Kennard and Keith Haring who also explore campaigning artwork and political topics. To build up the piece I wanted to incorporate New York further and emphasise advertisements and industry through the background. I decided to explore the advertisement of Times Square which had a big influence though the piece as it made it engaging towards the audience through the key terms.  I decided to create a neon advertisement font and used Gouache to capture the bold engaging colours. However, a problem I faced with the piece was that I couldn't achieve straight lines and curves accurately causing the overall appearance to be damaged. However, the piece captured my inspirational and initial outcome. But for next time, I am going to use a different choice of material to capture the unique lettering and "neon style". Overall I was least impressed with the outcome and I believe that I will not be developing this piece further into the project. The outcome is presented below.

Next I am going to develop my initial surface designs further and complete my first layout outcome.


Justice Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment