Thursday 13 April 2017

4th April Business Card Workshop Task


On Tuesday 4th April, I started to develop initial business card designs and layouts towards my final project outcomes and achievements. We were given a workshop task in which we developed Photoshop skills to produced effective outcomes to a high standard and good quality to be used within industry. The task included editing photographs of my artwork and research which were then edited to include information, text and contact details. I had previous knowledge of business cards from past projects and I wanted to expand my knowledge further in order to achieve 50 outcomes for my chosen final exhibition. Through the workshop we were given limitations and targets for production which was effective as it gave us a target to achieve which relates back to working within industry and promoting ourselves now and for the future. I had previous knowledge of using Photoshop to edit photographs and I was curious to expand my knowledge further in order to adapt my artwork to a professional standard. However, I was less confident with the element of using MacBook computers I have negative experiences with the software in the pass. But, I wanted to overcome my fears and achieve the skill of creating business cards which can be developed and expanded further in order to relate to my theme which was emphasised in the task given. The task has allowed me to solve practical and technical problems when creating business card outcomes. Also, the task has allowed me to experiment with a range of tools in the software to achieve a professional business card that can be distributed easily. It has allowed me to use practical skills that I have previously gained and developed further to suit the task. Finally, the project has allowed me to use research collected in order to be placed into my business card which makes it personal and unique to my characteristics and style.

To start the task, we opened Photoshop and placed the exact measurements which were required to make the layout. This was an important factor as this had to the accurate in order for the business card to be placed into wallets and bags easily. A problem I faced with the software was that I was unable to change the measurements accurately in order to fit the size. To solve the problem I asked peers which guidance me to achieve the correct layout and measurement of 3.5mm by 2mm. This measurement was maintained throughout the project. Next we placed our primary photographs onto the software to be edited to fit the size accurately. I have previous knowledge of this element and allowed me to fit images onto the surface efficiently. For my photographs I decided to experiment with previous surface design patterns created for experimentation before creating the final outcome. This included my fairground print and bee print. To solve the problem next time I am going to use my current imagery and surface designs to create the outcomes in order to achieve client outcomes. Once the images were placed onto the surface, I experimented with a range of lettering, fonts and effects which continued to look professional and receive a high standard. A recurring problem I faced with the design layouts was that the font wouldn’t be displayed well onto the surface of the design. To solve the problem, I discovered a filter which allowed me to place a border around the design to make the foreground stand out better within the surface of the design. Then I experimented with background tones and colours through filters which was effective and contributed to outcomes.  Another problem I faced with the filters was that I couldn't change the designs back to the original outlook on the software of the design. To solve the problem, I researched the information on my computer which allowed me to gain information to understand the software and solve my problem independently. One particular business card expressed my knowledge and understanding of my theme “industry” as it included a primary photograph of New York landscape taken from my visit. However a problem I faced with the design was that it didn’t express my interest as a textiles artist and designer. To solve the problem, I completed the design and worked back into business cards through my previous research as a textiles designer. These outcomes were effect8uve and I was pleased with the outcome of the design. Rules and directions were maintained throughout thru task in order to achieve a professional standard piece. This included involving my name, email address and blog address compared to areas that we couldn’t include. Elements that weren’t allowed include personal beliefs, age, gender and personal relationship status. These rules were maintained throughout the task and the images below display the outlines I used to experiment and produce business cards with.






Next I developed confidence with the software of InDesign which is a program that allows you to create magazine layouts, letters, business cards and book. Previously I have used this software before but struggled to maintain a high standard and understand the program accurately. I was determined to complete the task as it would allow me to change my previous opinion and gain confidence with the outlook of the software. Within the software, we explored another aspect of business card and employment skills which included a cover header for a letter. These are photographs and text that are placed at the top of a letter to highlight a business and company that are writing to a client. I have never explored this element and I was curious to experiment and highlight this area. To create the cover header font and outlook I continued to use my primary research and photographs and captured a particular area within my bee print. This was effective as it was a suitable size and scale to create the outline. Next, I experimented with text that the program offered and edited the scale and effect of the design. This was useful as I gained the knowledge of filters and effects from the familiar software of Photoshop. However, a problem I faced with the software was that I struggled to crop the image to edit the size of the layout. To solve the problem, I maintained the idea of asking peers and I solved the problem and found the tool in which I gained further knowledge and experience of. I was pleased with the experimentation of a cover letter and I used a final font of “Arial Rounded” which would be developed further into my business card development within the software. The previous imagery taken from Photoshop were placed onto InDesign to be developed and experimented further. InDesign software particularly focuses on employment elements and included a button which had the accurate size of business cards which I have previous knowledge of before. A problem I faced with transferring the designs what that the photos changed scale causing damage to the outlook of the design on InDesign. To solve the problem I had to change the scale and size of the design on the software which caused damage to the outlook of the design and appearance. To solve the problem next time, I will be editing the size more accurately onto the surface of the program to capture all of my surface designs I wanted to achieve. I enjoyed using this program as it gave me guidance and support when creating the front page and back page of my business card. It allowed me to present my knowledge and understanding of business in order to express myself and style I have created. The software provided accurate information which allowed me to place both sides of the business card together so that when they are printed the measurement would be accurate on both sides. This was inspirational and gave me the confidence to create a series of developed designs. Colour scheme was an important factor and allowed me to take inspiration from design outcomes and place them onto business cards. Once designs were developed and experimented I copied the designs several times onto another document which would allowed me to mass produce and print large scale in order to achieve 50 pieces. I was pleased with the skills I have achieved and I am going to experiment further in order for the business card to match my theme and subject of my final project. The software was inspirational and gave me the confidence to work independently in order to achieve an effective outcome. I was pleased with the outcome of my designs and the fonts on display that were experimented and placed when developing designs. The task has allowed me to problem solve efficiently and gain skills which will be taken further into the project but also in the future when producing further business card outcomes. The workshop has allowed me to change my opinion of the software's that I less confidence with before and turn this thought into a positive outlook. It has also allowed me to gain confidence with the computer MacBook and develop this further as I progressed with further software programs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment