Monday 24 April 2017

T-Shirt Sampling


To generate samples and experimentation, I decided to create T-shirt designs exploring my final surface pattern outcome. The samples were created through the same process of screen-printing and were transferred onto cotton t-shirts. This was a problem when collecting the T-shirt layouts as I was unsure if the materials would be unsuccessful. To solve the problem I gave inspiration from previous designs and discovered that cotton has been used successfully previously so I gain these shirts to develop further. For my first sampling I decided to use my initial colour scheme of red, yellow and black as I wanted to experiment to see if the design would work well on the white surface. The white surface was used to emphasise the background well and the intricate details for the 4th layer. The experimentation allowed me to explore the aspect of protest and campaigning through a different perspective. I gained inspiration from my visit to the Protest Lab in Sheffield in which displayed campaign posters and displays onto t-shirts. It gave an insight to how campaigning was emphasises within the strike movement and how banners were repeated onto different surfaces to highlight the importance of support and community spirit. It was fascinating to see how the repeated campaigning posters and slogans were displayed onto a variety of media to gain attention within society and demonstrate the large support across the community. I wanted to capture this spirit achieved through the campaigning and incorporate my layout into T-shirt outcomes. The pieces generated captured each individual layers of the screens and the harmonious colours created. The task has allowed me to experiment within the Textiles studio onto different surfaces and pieces with the traditional technique with a chosen, developed colour scheme. It has allowed me to problem solve through the process of screen-printing and areas within the Textiles studio. Finally the task has allowed me to work independently in the studio to use practical skills to generate further sampling and experimentation. Whilst creating the samples I discovered a problem went transferring the design onto the T-shirt. As previously discovered the material can transfer through the design underneath easily which would be a problem with two layers within the T-shirt. To solve the problem, I collected a board and placed it between the shirt to allow the colour to be transferred onto the design. This also allowed me to capture a smooth surface with no creases to place the design onto. The separate layers were placed onto the combined design but another problem was faced with the outcome of the design. Due to damaging and areas of the screens allowing the colour to come through this impacted the outcome of the piece and presented random misplaced colours on the surface of the design. This effected the clean outcome and precise finish of the T-shirt design and as the colour was white it emphasised these areas further. To solve and progress towards the development of the design I will be blocking these areas of my screen with news print and tape to ensure a clean and effective outcome. However, I was extremely pleased with the outcome of the designs as it inspired me and influenced my confidence within the Textiles studio. It highlights my understanding of progress and development throughout the project and how protest artwork and displays have influenced my work and outcomes. In my independent study I captured all studies of my design into two separate outcomes. I decided to separate the designs because I was unable to fit the pieces onto one outcome and It has allowed me to rearrange the design outcome. A problem I faced with the layout was that the overall piece included a slogan featured across the design which couldn’t be placed onto the surface of the t-shirt. To solve be problem I blocked the lettering and outline of the piece with newsprint and tape which worked effectively on the surface of the design. This outcome worked effectively and highlighted each design individually onto the surface of the t-shirt. The progress of the designs have allowed me to develop towards my final outcome and elements contributed towards the final banner outcome. I am aiming to produce T-shirt samples to be placed with my work and final outcome with my final exhibition as it explores the aspects of campaigning through different methods. The outcomes of the t-shirts express my understanding of the project and development from research and experimentation. I am aiming to produce further T-shirt samples exploring colour schemes through printing and the background of t-shirts. Next I am going to place the opposite designs onto the back of t-shirts and generate further sampling onto different surfaces. The samples generated are displayed below.

Final Outcome Of First Layout

Yellow Layer

Yellow and Red Layer

Red and Yellow Layer Of Second Design

Second design final outcome

Final Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment