Monday 3 April 2017

MoMA Gallery Visit


Whilst my visit to New York City I visited the famous Museum of Modern Art which hold contemporary artworks from across the world. This was an important gallery for me to explore as it has been a previous dream of visiting through gaining research from past projects and tasks. The Gallery hosted a collection of contemporary pieces across 3 floors which allowed me to obtain primary research which contributed towards my project and artist influence. The gallery was incredible to explore and it by far the best place I have visited for art and contemporary artists. It was a dream to visit and I was overwhelmed by the building and artworks I saw. The visit was collected through my free time and contributed to my primary research exploring "industrialisation" and "Justice". From previous research of visiting the gallery I discerned that the building held a collection of Andy Warhols prints which was a big contribution to my artwork as he explored social subjects and political which will be influential towards my development of the project and outcome. Also, from gaining research previously I discovered that Keith Haring’s work was on display at the gallery too which was an artist mentioned in my project that explores aspects of social and political topics across New York City. The museum allowed you to express your thoughts and feelings through topics on each floor and areas that you visited. I was extremely excited to explore the gallery and obtain primary research. Firstly I visited a room exploring works of unknown artists that displays works around mystery and mythical subjects. One particular piece stood out for me which was a large scale embroidery piece which included slogans, lettering and faces throughout. I found this piece inspiring to observe as it brought characteristic and the sense of questioning the piece as it was unknown and a mystery. The slogans and lettering stood out from the calico material and a variety of coloured embroidery thread was used. I believe that this will be influential towards my primary research and suits the aspect of slogans and lettering through Justice. The piece is presented below.





Embroidery piece with features and lettering.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On the second floor of the gallery I visited a 1960s areas which held a selection of contemporary art from the area and famous artists including the works of Andy Warhol. This artist explores aspects of society and political history and the gallery displayed iconic pieces including Gold Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley. It was interesting to explore the aspects of these pieces as they reflected American Society and iconic figures around the era. Also, through a Textiles perspective it was inspiring to follow the works of Warhol’s screen-prints and how they were produced through layers and colours. As these were original prints it was incredible to observe pieces placed within a gallery compared to mass production and products. This contributed to my project as it relates to my proposal following the aspects of Andy Warhol’s views of society across industry, New York and political views.  My favourite piece was the layered print of Elvis Presley which connected together to create an engaging piece. As an iconic figure and artist personally it was interesting to explore how Warhol presented him. I believed that the artist wanted to explore his iconic dance moves and expressing movement and facial features. Also, within the gallery the strong relationships between artists were demonstrated through Andy Warhol’s gift to Roy Lichtenstein of a spray can. Warhol’s pieces are presented below.

Elvis Presley Print

Gold Marilyn


Campbells Soup Can



Present given to Roy Lichtenstein


Warhol Print
Another area within the 1960s areas was a room exploring peace movement and equality. This included a wall of posters exploring campaigns, festivals and peace events. The wall was filled with a variety of colour texture and screen-prints which was inspirational through a designer’s perspective. The harmonious colours combined together and worked well within the wall and I was amazed by the unique pieces and layouts. Within the room it included iconic figures including The Beatles which were involved around the movement and a symbol of peace and equality. These prints were displayed next to the iconic Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club band vinyl which is a symbol around the pop-art movement. As a Beatles fan, I was amazed by the prints on display and the interpretation of the band which relates to my subject of “Justice”. Also, I believed whilst observing the piece, how iconic these figures are within the City of New York but also across the world. I was truly inspired and believed from the observation that I will be including this through my project. The piece is presented below.




Beatles Outcome

Pieces taken from the print wall







 

Also, through this area a piece called “Greyhound Coaches” which was a large scale installation which displayed an iconic silver coach and graffiti spread across the design. This piece was influential towards my project as it explores the aspects of justice through graffiti covering the area of the iconic method of transport across the city. It was interesting to see from an artist’s perspective and thought process of exploring aspects of justice around the city of New York but also how it connects to the audience well. The piece is demonstrated below.

Photographs taken from different perspectives
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Through the gallery, I visited the Abstract Expressionism room which explores iconic artists including Franz Kline and Jackson Pollock which I have previously researched before. I was pleased to see a Jackson Pollock piece in person as I have previous knowledge and passion for the artist and it was incredible to observe his thoughts and feelings in person. As exploring the works of Franz Kilne it was interesting to observe the monotone but aggressive brush strokes. However, this area was less useful towards my project as it doesn’t follow my theme or gives me inspiration towards the subjects of “Industry and “Justice”. However, I enjoyed exploring the area and reinforcing my knowledge of the movement.

Jackson Pollock


Franz Kline

 






 The gallery displayed, in a particular area, works exploring aspects of industry and displayed photographs across New York City and the world. Coal-mining shafts and industrial construction sites where displayed through a series of photographs and this was influential towards my project. It was interesting t observe how these subjects were similar and gave the same impression through monotone colours which made the audience feel sad and overwhelming emotion. This will be contributed to my project and will be inspiring through sketchbook and development.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Coal Mining Shafts
Within the gallery a large collection of Pablo Picassos work was on display which was overwhelming and incredible to observe in person as I have previous strong knowledge of the artist’s work. The gallery displayed early works through the Blue Period towards abstract and cubism. The gallery was inspirational as it allowed me to go up close to the artworks to explore the oil paints and brush strokes of each individual piece. As the artist doesn’t contribute to my project it was less useful but I enjoyed observing the pieces well and they are presented below.

 
 


My Favourite Piece around Picassos Work


 
 
 
 
 
An iconic piece which I couldn’t believe I observed at the gallery was the works of Vincent Van Gogh and “Starry Night”. Whilst observing the piece I was amazed the rhythmic sky and swirls demonstrated across the sky and landscape. The harmonious, cool colours were on display proud at the centre of the gallery and I was amazed by how detailed and intricate the layout is. Reflecting on my visit, this was my favourite piece as I have grown up studying the works of this iconic artist and I couldn’t believe that it was displayed at an incredible city. The piece is presented below.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The gallery also held works from iconic artists including Yayoi Kusama, Claude Monet, Roy Lichtenstein and Salvador Dali in which I obtained a series of primary photographs and research which will all contribute to my project and progress through sketchbook and development. Visiting the MoMA gallery in New York was an incredible experience and I will treasure the memories in the future and will inspire me in further projects through my career.
 

Roy Lichenstein

Joan Miro

Claude Monet

Yayoi Kusama



Alexander Calder


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment