Tuesday 1 December 2015

26th November 3D Workshop

On Thursday 26th November we completed our final workshop task on the rota for the "Transcribing Caro” project. The 3D, woodwork workshop was an important session for me because I needed to create elements that will connect all the pieces I have already created together. Also the workshop was important because it was crucial to finish my design all together and give a good quality finish. The workshop also allowed me to decorate elements that would be placed into my design that would be ready to be placed together on the 16th December. The task allowed me to demonstrate my ability to plan, organise and prepare solutions whilst in the workshop. Also the woodwork task allowed me to solve problems in 3D and think of solutions that will fix the problem I faced. Finally the workshop allowed me to apply practical skills, understanding and methods to solve further 3D problems in the task.

To start the session we were given a recap about health and safety in the workshop. When we entered the workshop we were told to place our bags and coats away safely to avoid tripping hazards and causing serious injuries. We were also reminded about the safety logos on the machines which were "wear safety goggles" and "wear ear protection”. The rules and safety signs must be followed throughout the workshop to avoid serious injuries. After being reminded about the health and safety rules from the workshop induction, we followed them throughout the workshop task to avoid the risk of injury.
Firstly, to start the task I collected my maquette, ceramic pieces and sketchbook work to discuss to the workshop leader what I was wanting to create. I was pleased that my ceramic columns were complete as they helped me to collect measurements and see how all the pieces visually looked for me and the workshop leader. When discussing to the workshop leader about my design I faced a problem which was that the ceramic bases wouldn’t hold together and they would break if they were placed together like my design. To solve the problem, the workshop leader suggested a platform which would attach all the pieces together and hold all the pieces together safely. I was happy with the decision because it related to my renaissance research because some architecture in the paintings featured steps that were developed in my sketchbook. Also, another problem I faced was that the ceramic base was unstable to place the platform onto the design.  To solve the problem, a piece of Plywood was going to be placed underneath the ceramic base to make the base stronger and even. I decided to focus on the base and I measured the ceramic base which was 28cm by 29.5cm. To create the plywood base, I decided to measure the piece by 32cm and 33.5cm. After measuring the piece I took it to the band saw and used my previous knowledge to use the machine safely. After I created my base I drew around my first ceramic base and column. Then I collected a circle column that fitted the ceramic base and column and attached the piece to the wood with nails by using a drill. Once the two pieces were placed together securely, I collected the ceramic base and measured around the column. I collected the measurements and these were going to be taken further for the platform structure.

Ceramic Columns
Ceramic Base
The Plywood Base and wooden column
Attaching the two pieces together
Measurements for the plywood platform
Cutting the plywood platform
Plywood Platform and Ceramic column
Pillar Drill
To create the platform, I extended the size from the ceramic base measurement and created a long piece of plywood that was going to be divided into separate sections for the platform. This was also cut by the band saw and it was ready to be attached together. For the first base, I measured the ceramic base so that the piece of wood would be placed over the base to keep it secure. To get the circle, I placed the piece of wood at the pillar drill with a drill that created a circle. After the circle was cut through it was ready to be attached to the other pieces of wood to create the platform. To attach the pieces together I was going to use a drill to create the holes and attach the nails together. However, a problem I faced was that the drill would break the wood easily so I decided to use the pillar drill instead. To create the holes in the design I attached the pieces together and drilled holes into the surface then I placed nails to attach them together with a hand drill. I repeated the process to create the platform that was ready for the ceramic bases to be placed onto. Sadly, due to time management I didn’t finish creating my platform and the decoration around the design and on top of the columns. The next step is to finish my sculpture in the woodwork workshop in my independent study time to complete my sculpture ready for the due date.

The complete platform

No comments:

Post a Comment