Tuesday 1 December 2015

Transcribing Caro Evaluation Part A



The “Transcribing Caro Project” was my first experience exploring a 3D project and a variety of elements joined together to complete the whole task. Firstly, I found collecting primary research from our gallery visit to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Hepworth gallery valuable because it allowed me to explore a range of media and use my art skills to create folding sketchbooks. The folding sketchbooks allowed me to observe a range of Caro’s sculptures and create my own styled drawings based around them from a range of dry materials. I believe this was valuable for me in the project because it allowed me to interpret my own view of Caro’s pieces and create a range of sketches that were taken from a variety of Caro’s pieces from paper sculptures to outdoor sculptures. I also found it valuable collecting primary research from the gallery visits because it allowed you to compare Caro’s work in both galleries with the folding sketchbooks and images. The trip was valuable because it allowed me to collect a variety of primary images that were placed into my sketchbook for further development and were used throughout the project. Also the trip was valuable for my primary research because it allowed me to collect images at different angles and perspectives that was useful for sketchbook work to create themes and textures. I found looking at the sculptures in real life better than secondary images because you can explore the piece at different angles and perspectives. Also it’s better to look at sculptures in real life because you can look closely into how the elements were placed together and this was shown in Caro’s work with strong fixtures and fittings. Finally it’s better to look at sculptures in real life than secondary images because you can see how it fits in the environment and how other people in the gallery interact with the pieces. This is demonstrated in the “Childs Tower Room because children were climbing onto the piece and exploring it which shows the interaction that cannot be seen through secondary images.




Childs Tower Room


I think that my primary research turned out well because I collected a variety of information, photographs and two complete folding sketchbooks from both galleries. I believe the photographs turned out well in my primary research because I collected a variety of images that explore Caro’s work and the use of different materials, how the sculptures were placed and the scale of sculptures. I captured the abstract sculptures at different angles and perspectives and this turned out well for me because it allowed me to use them for my sketchbook work and develop them to create my final stages of design. Also I think that the two complete primary research folding sketchbooks turned out well because they showed my observations of Caro’s work from my view with a variety of different materials being used and drawing techniques. The information I collected from primary research was useful as it allowed me to go into detail and depth about the “Childs Tower Room”. It allowed me to collect information about the sculpture and Caro’s thoughts behind the sculpture. However to improve my primary research information I would collect more information from different sculptures as I only focused on one sculpture and I could have collected more information which would have been taken into my sketchbook work for annotation.

The secondary research I collected was effective because I explored a variety of artists which were Peter Dahmen, Alexander Calder and Frank Stella. For the secondary research I collected a variety of images from each artist and created sketchbook pages that had layouts relating to the artist and materials. Also I collected secondary information which was effective because it related to the art movements they were involved in, what materials they use, personal life and specific details behind some pieces of work. All the secondary research artists I collected was effective because they all related to Caro’s work and the artists chosen were compared to him in my sketchbook work. All the artists I collected had similarities to Caro and this was effective for my secondary research because it allowed me to explore further into abstract art but always relating back to the “Transcribing Caro Project” and brief.

Throughout the development stages for my 3D sculpture task I have developed, organised and planned what I was going to create. Whilst in the designing stage I decided to create a plinth mounted 3D piece because I thought that was the most effective layout to create because you can build up a design and make it look like a strong architectural piece. I was wanting to create a strong architectural piece to relate back to my secondary renaissance research because my task was based around Caro where he took inspiration from architecture renaissance paintings and created sculptures from them. I was following in the footsteps of Caro and I decided to create a range of plinth mounted 3D pieces that expressed strong architecture. For my design stage I organised my sketchbook and split the pages into sections to organise and plan my 3 different designs. All the designs considered materials from each workshop and related back to Caro’s work and renaissance paintings. When I started to develop me final design, I prepared solutions in 3D by asking workshop leaders for advice and changing the design for it to be suitable for the workshops. I also organised the materials I was going to using whilst developing the design further.













I have used practical skills in the 3D workshop that I have learnt from the workshop introduction to create my final sculpture. In the workshop introduction I was taught how to use the machines in the room safely and how to use specific tools which were taken forward into my final sculpture. I have developed my methods and understanding of the machines I used in the 3D workshop to create my final sculpture and also to solve problems I faced. I have developed my knowledge and understanding that I learnt previously in ceramics and created 6 ceramic columns that were placed into the kiln safely. I have also expanded my knowledge in ceramics and started to use new materials that developed my understanding to create more effective clay pieces. In Print-making, I have used the knowledge I was taught previously in the workshop and developed it to create dry-point etching pieces that was printed by the same process for the final piece. Finally, the practical skills I used in photography and maquette making was paper sculpture which allowed me to create really effective abstract pieces that related back to the “Transcribing Caro” project.







In the workshop tasks I have faced difficulties with the print-making and 3D workshops. The first problem I faced was getting to place my print onto the design as I couldn’t place it where I originally wanted it to go because it wouldn’t print properly onto the surface. To overcome this problem I spoke to the print-making leader and decided to print the design onto paper and then place it onto the surface of my design. This has changed my original design but it overcame a problem I faced. When discussing to the 3D workshop leader about my final design I faced a problem which was that the ceramic bases wouldn’t hold together because of the weight they carry. This would make the pieces break if they were placed together. To solve the problem, the 3D workshop leader suggested a platform which would attach all the pieces together and hold all the pieces together safely and not cause the pieces to break. I was pleased with this solution because it related to my renaissance research that featured steps in the architecture paintings. Also, another problem I faced was that the ceramic base was unstable to place ceramic columns onto it. To solve the problem, I created a piece of plywood that was going to be placed underneath the ceramic base to make the base stronger and even. These changes to my design changes the original design I created. However, I have overcome all the difficulties I struggled with and will continue to finish my final sculpture.  






I believe that I have managed my time more efficiently compared to the last project. I have given myself set targets to complete for weekends and in lesson. However I need to continue to improve my time management skills further as I fell behind in some lessons and workshops.
Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment