Wednesday 16 December 2015

8th December Studio Practise and Caro Final Piece


On Tuesday 8th December I started to explore my new live brief “Distinction Doors” through sketchbook work and mood boards. Also in studio practise, I went back to complete my 3D sculpture for the “Transcribing Caro Project” that was incomplete from the previous workshop task. By completing the sculpture for the “Transcribing Caro” project, it allowed me to apply practical skills, understanding and methods to solve 3 dimensional problems in art & design. By starting the sketchbook work for the “Distinction Doors” live brief it has allowed me to analyse the requirements and parameters of a 2 dimensional problem in the task. Also the studio practise has allowed me to apply research activities to support solutions to a 2 dimensional problem in art & design. Finally, the studio practise has allowed me to start demonstrating the ability to plan, organise and prepare solutions for the project. I was excited to explore the new project and explore the theme “Let the outdoors in” and research what doors are already in the “Distinction Doors” catalogue. The task allowed me to use my research skills to collect a variety of secondary research for the project.

To start the research for the “Distinction Doors” brief I used my independent study skills and started to create boards on my Pinterest page. To start my research I decided to collect images for the theme “Let the outside in”. I believe that this quote relates to nature because I think the keyword “Outside” relates to the environment around us which is nature. The theme “Nature” has a wide variety of elements inside the topic so to start the task I looked on Pinterest that had the tag named “Nature”. After creating a variety of images that matched the name, I developed my research further and started to focus on images that were “Flowers”. I decided to focus on flowers because they present a variety of colours, shapes and also matches the theme “Let the outside in”. I also decided to use these images because I believe that this initial design idea can be placed onto door designs when I start to develop them. After collecting images, I printed them off and started to place the “nature” images into my sketchbook pages. Then I focused back to the “Transcribing Caro” project and went to the 3D workshop to complete my design.

For the "Transcribing Caro" project I needed to complete my 3D sculpture that was incomplete from the previous 3D workshop. The task allowed me to apply practical skills, understanding and methods to solve 3D problems in the project. To start completing the sculpture, I attached the last ceramic base onto the platform by using a drill to attach the piece of wood underneath securely so that the ceramic piece will be held and not break. Then I started to glue first ceramic base onto the ceramic surface to make the sculpture stronger and to avoid the whole fragile piece collapsing. Once the glue was placed I faced a problem with the design as the whole piece wouldn't stand freely whilst the glue is drying. To solve the problem I collected a spare piece of wood and measured the length of the final platform from the ground so that the piece would be slotted underneath to hold the piece together. Then I measured the length out and cut the piece out on the band saw. The piece held the sculpture securely and would be removed when the glue is set. Next I focused on creating the pattern on top of the column which was going to be made from plastic. I wanted to colourful pieces of plastic to match Caro's work as he uses these colours. I decided to collect the primary colours that were blue, red and yellow for my design and measured out how big I wanted the pieces to be. I decided to create layers because it related to the architecture buildings I found whilst researching renaissance paintings. For the measurements I decided to have 10cm for my base, then 7.5cm for my second piece, 5cm for my third piece and 2.5cm for my final piece. All of these measurements were cut by the band saw. To develop my knowledge of using the band saw I placed a piece of wood underneath the plastic to create a smooth cut through my piece. Eventually I created my pieces of plastic and placed them onto the design with superglue that was set to dry overnight.

All the Ceramic tubes placed together

The primary plastic colours I used.

One final pattern that was placed onto the ceramic tubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment