Wednesday 16 December 2015

Caro Final Evaluation Part B





When creating my final 3D sculpture in the project, I faced many difficulties that effected my final design layout and appearance. However, I overcame these difficulties and solved them which allowed me to create a final “table-top” 3D sculpture that was inspired by Caro’s work and my research throughout the project. Firstly, a problem I faced with the design was that the “Ceramic Base”, which was on the original design layout, wasn’t strong enough to hold the piece together and the base became uneven after being taken from the kiln. To solve the problem I changed the design layout and constructed a plywood base that was placed underneath the ceramic base to make it stronger. Also to solve the uneven surface I placed glue underneath the uneven areas to make them balanced and also stick to the plywood surface. Another problem I faced was the placement of the ceramic tubes on the design. According to my original design they were going to be attached together to create a staircase effect and become free-standing on the base. However, I faced difficulties as the tubes weren’t strong enough to be connected together and had uneven surfaces from the kiln. This had an impact on my final design but it was solved by making the whole piece stronger. A plywood platform was created to place the 3 ceramic tubes together and also keep the same idea of creating a staircase. The design change related to my previous research and development so it overcame the problem I faced. Another problem I faced was that I had to change my layout to my final design from my sketchbook work because it would impact the sculpture that was created. I decided not to create a steamed wood piece to wrap around the base because it would damage the strong plywood stair case and have the risk of damaging the sculpture. To solve the issue of where to place my print-making I placed the design onto my ceramic base which gave an effective layout. Finally, another problem I faced when creating the sculpture was that I couldn’t place wire through the sculpture because the ceramic tubes were very fragile and could easily break if a drill was placed into the surface. I have found assembling my sculpture very challenging because I had to change a large majority of my final piece in my sketchbook to create the 3D sculpture. By creating the sculpture, I found some specific elements challenging as I was skill developing my knowledge of machines in the workshop. However I found separate elements in the workshops easy to create because I focused on individual pieces than a large final piece. If I had to change any aspects of the project I would have created a simpler design as it was very difficult to create a complicated piece that had a range of elements placed into one sculpture. Also, I would change the layout so that it allowed me to create an easier design that I could construct without making any changes. Finally, if I had to repeat the project I would ask specific subject teachers for more information about the final layout and create a final sketch that would be taken into the workshop and be created without any issues. Overall, I am happy with my final sculpture because it has demonstrated the different elements I have made in each workshop and how I have assembled them together. The sculpture shows a variety of skills and methods I have used throughout the project and how it connects to my research and development in the project. Also, the piece has demonstrated my exploration of different materials and methods. Finally, I am happy with my final sculpture because it has become a strong 3D “table-top” sculpture that presents my development of the project and my “transcription” of Caro’s work.

My final sculpture is presented below.

No comments:

Post a Comment