Wednesday 24 February 2016

Jackson Pollock and Action Painting Workshop


Jackson Pollock

Jackson Pollock is an American, abstract expressionist artist who is known for creating the most iconic abstract styles in the history of modern art. During his early life, Pollock experienced Native American Culture which led to influences and similarities through his artwork. When he moved to New York in 1929 he was also inspired and influenced by Mexican Mural Painters and works by Picasso. His involvement with gestural painting was inspired partly by the sand paintings of the American Indians and partly by surrealism. Jackson started to create techniques of dripping trails of paint onto a canvas laid flat on the floor which was named “action painting”. In 1940 he introduced this technique because he was aware of human vulnerability after World War II and he wanted to express his concerns through abstract art and “action painting”. To create the action paintings, canvases were set on the floor or laid out against a wall, rather than being fixed onto an easel. Then Jackson used the style where he would allow the paint to drip from the can at different angles to create effects onto the canvas. Instead of using a brush, he would add depth to his images using knives, trowel or sticks. The pieces reflect the artist’s emotions, expression and moods when he created them which makes the artwork individual and unique. Another technique that Pollock uses is the “All-Over Method” which avoids any clear points of emphasis or parts within the canvas being used to create the piece. The images which were created using this painting technique has no relation to the style of canvas used which makes his pieces unique. The canvases had to be cropped and trimmed in order for the final image to fit in that Jackson created. In the 1960s Jackson Pollock was viewed as one of the most important figures in the art world and continues to inspire abstract artists. The risks and creative approaches he took has influenced future artists to create pieces through abstract expressionism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwUxQrDGqw- This Video presents Jackson Pollock creating an "Action Piece" painting.
This Image captures Jackson Pollock when he created
"action paintings".







Convergence 1952

Reflection of the Big Dipper, 1947

 http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/jackson-pollock-1785


On Thursday 23rd of February we completed an “Action Painting” workshop inspired by the works of Jackson Pollock. The task allowed me to apply my previous artist research knowledge to support solutions to a time-based problem in art & design. Also the task allowed demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and prepare solutions to the project. Finally the project allowed us to apply practical skills, understanding and methods to solve time-base problem in art & design. To start the task we collected a variety of paints and materials to create a Jackson Pollock “Action Painting” style piece. Once the collected the materials I needed, I started to set up the environment for where the action piece was going to be create. In order to film and document my action-painting a clear piece of Perspex was used so that the camera could be place underneath to capture the paint being placed onto the surface. By placing the camera underneath the Perspex it gave a special effect as the video appears to be covered in paint. Also, by filming the development of the action-painting, it relates to Jackson Pollock’s work because he built up his pieces with layers of paint and tools. I decided to use primary colours to create my action painting piece because they are bold colours that are eye-catching and relate to Jackson Pollock’s work as he used the same colours for his work. I also used primary colours because they would stand out on the Perspex when the filming it. To build up the piece I created, I used different techniques to place the paint onto paper which gave a unique effect like Jackson Pollock’s work. Once I completed the action-painting the final outcome was presented on the Perspex.
Final "action" piece outcome and the materials
that I used.


Final Action Painting Piece
Overall, I am really pleased with my action painting and video outcome because I have presented each step and process I did in order to complete the piece. Also I am pleased with my action painting because I used a variety of colours and techniques to build up the final piece which expressed my thoughts and ideas when creating it. I enjoyed expressing my ideas and filming the process I made to present my final idea because I believe it related back to Jackson Pollock’s Work. My final piece relates to Jackson Pollock’s work because I built up the work with a variety of different colours and tools. Also, my piece relates to Jackson Pollock’s work because I used similar materials and tools to create my final design. However, my final piece and Jackson Pollock’s work has differences because we expressed different thoughts and ideas when creating the action painting. Finally, my final outcome is individual and personal to me which makes it unique like Jackson Pollock’s work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea3v_GRPxNw&feature=youtu.be - Video Of My "Action Painting Piece





No comments:

Post a Comment