Wednesday 24 February 2016

Reportage Drawing

Also on Thursday 18th of February we continued to explore workshop tasks and created a series of “Reportage Drawing”. This technique involved capturing moments from different drawing elements including line drawing, quick sketches and observational drawings. The task allowed us to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and prepare solutions to the project. Finally, the workshop allowed us to apply practical skills, understanding and methods to solve problems in the workshop.

To start the task we collected paper and a variety of different materials to work with to create our reportage drawings. Firstly, we created quick sketches and focused on drawing people in the class. We created 5 different sketches in the time slot we were given and used different materials for each drawing. 5 sketches were created on one sheet because it allowed us to show our progress and development throughout the task. Also, we created 5 different sketches because it allowed us to explore drawing a variety of different facial features. We also used different materials because it allowed me to develop my strengths in particular materials but also give me confidence with new materials. Different materials were also used to identify the individual sketches I have created and the development of my work.. I found creating quick sketches challenging at first because I was wanted my drawings to be detailed and resemble from what I were observing. However, after developing my skills at each sketch, I learnt that creating quick drawings needed to be simple when presenting features. At the end of the task I gained confidence with creating quick sketches as I could include basic features and outlines in the time slot I was given and relate to what I observed.
First quick sketch attempt didn't work because
I focused on the hairstyle for too long.
The second outcome was developed as I completed
the full outline and some facial elements.




The third attempt wasn't successful as
I was drawing from a different angle.

The fourth attempt was better as I developed
and emphasised features which was the hair.


The fifth attempt presents my development
and understanding of the technique.
Final Page
  After creating quick sketches we completed continuous line drawings that observed people and objects around the room. We continued to use the same process with using different materials to allow me gain confidence with using materials and develop the skills I previously had. Continuous line drawing is a technique where the pen can’t leave the paper which creates an individual drawing effect. I repeated the same process and observed 5 different objects and features which were developed throughout the session. I enjoyed creating continuous line drawings because I could emphasise shades and tones with the thickness and amount of lines. Also, I enjoyed creating continuous line drawings because the unique effect made all my drawings eye-catching.
First attempt went well as I created the piece
which matches the object I observed.
Second attempt wasn't successful as I couldn't create
the specific facial features.
 
















Third attempt was successful because all the
lines connected worked effectively and matched
the object I observed.


 








Fourth attempt was successful because it
allowed me to include tone and shading
with the thickness of the lines.
The Fifth attempt was the most successful piece because
it presents my development of the technique.
 
 
 
Next we created drawings around observing an object and shutting our eyes to create the sketches. We continued to use a variety of materials and created 5 different observational drawings. I found completing this task challenging as I couldn’t control the drawings which made them look irregular and didn’t relate to the object I was drawing from. However, I did develop my skills and by the end of the task I enjoyed creating the objects with this technique.

The second attempt presents my development and
confidence that I gained in the task.

The first attempt wasn't successful because I didn't
feel confident with using the technique.


The third attempt was not successful as I couldn't draw
individual objects within the piece I was wanting to create.



The fourth attempt was successful as all the lines
and sketches are joined together to create the object
I observed.
 

 
Finally, for the last “Reportage Drawing” we created a piece that involved drawing a variety of objects with different materials and each time a new drawing was completed the page was turned around to create different angled drawings. I enjoyed creating this task because it allowed me to create different layers of the variety of objects I observed. Also, I liked how all the different elements are combined together to create one final, abstract piece. Finally, I enjoyed creating this task because it allowed me to use and develop all the materials that I have used throughout the workshop to make one piece.


All the images from this technique present the process and layers
that were developed to create the final piece.
Overall, the “Reportage Drawing” workshop was successful because it allowed me to develop and gain confidence with new drawing techniques and materials.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment