Monday 2 January 2017

13th December Creating Designs

On Tuesday 13th December I started to generate initial design patterns through visual sheets for the live brief project “Mother and Child”. These initial ideas have been inspired and taken from my primary, secondary and contextual research which explores the theme of “Fairground” and “Seaside”. This original idea has been collected from my primary research of photographs of my childhood where we visited the seaside with my mother. This was also collected from photographs of my family history which also includes visiting the seaside and fairground attractions. For my initial designs, I wanted to focus with creating patterns based around photographs taken from Blackpool as it is personal to me as I have family at the seaside which also reinforces the theme of “Mother and Child”. These initial ideas will be adapted and developed further to create a final repeated, print finish which will highlight my journey and interpretation of the project. Whilst creating initial ideas, I need to consider the target requirements through my colour scheme as I am not allowed to use the colour “blue”. This will be reflected through my work and I will also be taking inspiration from my moodboard and research for my final colour scheme choices. The task allowed me to select appropriate materials and processes to develop creative solutions for the live brief. Also, the task allowed me to apply practical skills knowledge and understanding of an audience to produce creative solutions for the chosen project.

To start the task, I decided to create a background for my visual sheet which included dividing the page through triangles to allow me to create a series of designs. The outline was inspired by my moodboard, as my primary research photographs taken from the funfair had a series of triangle shapes within the design which I found engaging when placing them onto the design. Once, I created the background I started to develop my first initial design. This design was inspired by my moodboard which incorporates repeated images of a fairground “teacup” ride. I found this image inspiring as I believed it related back to my artist research Jeff Koon who focuses his work around the “Kitsch Movement”. To create the piece, I used the elements within “Textiles” and used “repetition” and “texture” to build up the pattern on the surface of the design. To solve the problem of making each cup looking equal, I used tracing paper which gives the most effective outcome and appearance. For the surface of the design, I decided to reflect my knowledge and understanding of the artist Yayoi Kusama and build up each cup design with dots. For my colour scheme, I was inspired by my primary research of fairground photographs and used the colours gold and red to complete the “teacup” design. These colours complimented each other well within the surface and I decided to emphasise the dots further through using a black outline which made each individual cup design stand out. The layout of the design is displayed below.

Pattern Outcome

Tracing for the design


Drawing outline of the repeated pattern.






















Next I am going to continue to develop initial designs further on the visual sheet which will be inspired by primary, secondary and artist research gained previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment