Tuesday 24 January 2017

24th January Samples and Experimentation


On Tuesday 24th of January, I continued to generate samples and experiment with different elements and materials within the Textiles workshop. All the pieces created relate back to my choice of colour scheme and repeated pattern created through the design process. The final design has been developed from my visual sheets and continues to follow the restraint given which is not using the colour "blue". In the Textiles room I continued to explore different methods to produce my design which included Batik, puff binding and embroidery. I combined and used these elements separately to achieve my outcomes which all contribute to my final repeated screen outcome. The task has allowed me to develop my confidence and reinforce the methods and skills gained before to achieve samples of my work. Also, the task has allowed me to create a variety of samples through creating each surfaces of the design individually. Finally the task has allowed me to gain confidence and work in the Textiles environment safely to solve problems and create my own materials which were used to make screen-print samples. The final outcome will be a repeated screen which will include all of my designs together with 3 colour schemes which continue to relate back to the live brief "mother and Child" but also my interpretation "seaside" and "fairground".

To start the task, I continued to complete my dyed fabrics which have been previously created with a range of colour schemes. I allowed the fabric to dry overnight and it was ready to be heat pressed safely. Throughout the task, I have followed health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury. Firstly hands were placed away from the heat press machine to avoid the risk of burning. The machine wasn't left unattended with materials inside as it can cause burning and the risk of smoke. These instructions were followed throughout the task. Once the dyed fabrics were heat pressed I placed them into the washing machine to remove the chemicals. Next, I continued to create further screen samples through the choice of colours and a technique called "puff binding". Previously, I have knowledge of using these technique before but also was unsure as I generated new colours in order for the technique to relate back to my work. To create the puff binder I used the same process as screen printing and mixed choice of dyes into the substance. Once the piece was completed I placed the substance onto the surface of the materials through screen-printing. Once I completed the design, I placed it onto a heat gun to reveal the surface and texture. A Problem I faced with the heat gun was that it would burn the surface easily. To improve next time I will take the heat gun and use it safely when completing the process. Once I gained confidence with puff binding I explored the technique with traditional screen printing to highlight areas with the layers I have created. For the materials I explored cotton, calico and recycled materials found around the classroom. For my colour scheme explored a variety of colours which were continued from my visual sheet and taken from my sketchbook research. Whilst creating the outcomes, I faced a problem which was that the screens layered didn't match accurately causing irregular patterns and surfaces. To improve next time I will be more accurate with my tracings through measurements to create an effective outcome. Once I completed my samples, I decided to work into them further through embroidery. Previously I have used metallic threads to create lettering and patterns which I found inspiring as they relate to my interpretation of the theme through colours and artist research. I decided to develop my skills further with this technique and work into the designs created. I found my outcomes effectively as I believe it emphasised specific areas of the design and allowed me to create further detail onto the pieces. Also, I was pleased with the outcome as it specifically emphasised my characters "dog balloons" and I will continue to develop this combination further through samples.
Puff Binder Material used

One layer of my screen

Puff Binder screen outcome before the heat transfer

Outcome with heat gun.

Puff binder outcome

Screens used

Puff Binder outcome

Screen with Puff Binder
 

Next I am going to create further samples and experiment with a variety of materials and methods through combining them together to create outcomes. I will also continue to use the embroidery technique and work into my previous samples further.

No comments:

Post a Comment