Tuesday 24 January 2017

17th January Sampling My First Screen Outcomes


On Tuesday 17th January, I started to complete samples of my final repeated screen print which incorporates all 4 designs together through a shape of the circle. These designs have been developed from my visual sheet and combined together to create a final repeated screen layout. The outcome will be completed with 3 layers which represents each colour that will be used on design. Each colour will highlight the background, characters and shapes which also will be symmetrical within the final shape. The colour scheme will be inspired by my visual sheet, primary and secondary research. In the Textiles workshop I experimented with a variety of colours to decide which ones are most effective to use and highlight the features the best. By experimenting it has allowed me to gain confidence with using the Textiles workshop independently through creating samples. It has allowed me to develop my skills with creating my own colours with the materials given in the workshop. The task has allowed me to gain confidence and work in the Textiles environment safely to solve problems and create my own samples to discover if the screen-print layers have worked effectively. For the samples I explored combining them all together but also individually. By completing experimentation it has allowed me to select materials and processes to develop creative solutions for the project. The task allowed me to apply practical skills knowledge and understanding of an audience to produce creative solutions for the chosen project.

Previously, I have coated my screens independently which were ready to be used and exposed. I collected my tracings and placed them with the screens. I have previous knowledge with the technique and worked independently to expose them all. Once all the screens were exposed I used a jet wash to remove the excess coating to reveal my design. However, a problem I faced was that two screens were less effective as they were blurry and didn't reveal the overall design. Also, the design started to blister which had an impact with the outcome of the layers. To solve the problem I will expose the screens again for further experimentations. However, I continued to use these screens for experimentation and development. For my first attempts I decided to use paper and the materials "water soluble silkscreen process" which are displayed below. These materials are most effective on paper and give the best outcome with the colours. The colours given were primary colours so I explored with them first and avoided the colour restraint "blue". I discovered the impact and outcome of the designs with the blistered screens and they are presented below. To experiment further I decided to create my own colours which were taken from my visual sheet for inspiration. To create the colours, I combined the primary colours together to create light, pastel colours which included pink and purple. I was pleased with the outcome of the colours and decided to create the final 3 layers. A problem I discovered with my screens was that the layers didn't match up accurately which caused problems with measurements but I continued to use the screens. To solve the problem I will expose the screens accurately and place my tracing correctly so that they will match together effectively. Once completing the layers, I was pleased with the colour choice created on the paper and I am wanting to continue to develop this colour scheme further into fabric. All of my samples are presented below.
Printing Materials I used.

Creating New Colours

Final Outcome with all 3 layers included and chosen final colour scheme.
 
Screen Exposed

Exposing my Screen.

Transferring the material through the screen.

Outcome of one layer.



Outcome of second layer


Outcome of Final Background Layer.

Overall I am pleased with the choice of colours and I will continue to experiment with these further. Next I am going to expose my screens again accurately with my tracings to create further samples. I will also will start explore with different fabrics and analyse which are the most effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment