Friday 15 April 2016

10th March "Architectural Structures"

On Thursday 10th of March we continued to explore workshop tasks which allowed us to generate and develop our own ideas for Unit 8 “Structures”. Also, the task allowed us to generate ideas as a group and to continue to develop our communication and teamwork skills. In the workshop task, we explored “Architectural Structure” and it consisted of two tasks which both included creating 3D architectural sculptures from the resources given. These tasks allowed us to demonstrate our 3D practical skills that have been developed throughout the course. Also, we demonstrated our knowledge of the use of equipment we used as a team which has been developed and adapted throughout the variety of projects we have explored. By completing these workshop tasks, it allowed me and the group to analyse the variety of elements within “Structure” and what we would like to develop as individuals for the project. Finally, the workshop tasks allowed me to analyse the requirements and parameters of the “Unit 8 Structures “project as a group but also individually.

To start the workshop tasks, we were given a variety of architectural building images to analyse as a group. This section of the task allowed the group to develop individual communication skills and combine all of our thoughts and opinions together. I found analysing the variety of architectural images inspiring because it allowed me to discover how different structures are combined to build a strong architectural building. Also, the images allowed me to continue to generate ideas for elements within “Structures” that can be developed into the project. After analysing the images, we were placed into groups to create a 3D architectural sculpture which has been inspired by the architectural buildings. For the task we were given materials and resources such as art straws, cardboard, string and corrugated card to create our 3D architectural sculpture. Throughout the task we followed health and safety instructions to avoid injury with the equipment we used. When cutting the corrugated card, we used a craft knife, cutting mat and metal ruler. Both cutting mat and metal ruler was used because it allowed me to cut safely in the direction I wanted without any mistakes and risk of injury. For our design we were inspired by a building within the images we analysed that had a hexagonal shape for built up structure. As a group we liked how this shape created a strong, abstract structure for a building and we wanted to develop this idea to create the 3D sculpture. I found creating the piece challenging as I have found creating 3D work challenging with materials and equipment. However I overcame the problem as the group because we worked together and developed our teamwork skills to create the piece. Another problem we faced was that we used the material corrugated card to create our structure which wasn’t suitable as the card was a weak material. To improve next time we will use a stronger material such as card to create 3D sculptures. Finally, another problem we faced was time management as we didn’t complete the final architectural sculpture in the time we were given. To improve in future group tasks we will plan our time efficiently at the start of the task in order to complete it.


A side view of the final workshop outcome.



 
 
The final workshop outcome.





















Next, we completed the final “Architectural Structures” workshop task which was to build the tallest structure in the class as a group. The task allowed us to continue to develop our communication and teamwork skills within the group to build a large architectural sculpture. The piece had to be free standing which could hold a tennis ball for 10 seconds within the structure. For the materials we could only use art straws and tape to build the structure together. I enjoyed the task because it allowed us to explore independently as a group how to build tall 3D sculptures together with limited resources available. It also allowed us to demonstrate the skills we have learnt previously in the first workshop task and present our knowledge of architectural buildings that were analysed at the start of the task. We combined a variety of different elements of structure within the piece to make it stronger and to develop the skills we learnt from the first task. After completing the task, we placed all of the pieces together as a class.

 
All of the structures together that were completed by the whole class.

The final workshop outcome.
 
Overall, the workshop tasks were useful because it allowed us to generate and develop ideas within the elements of “Structure”. Also, it allowed us to explore the 3D workshop which can be developed and used for the project.

Also, on Tuesday 10th of March we started to collect proposed research and complete our bibliography of what research sources and elements within “structure” I am wanting to develop for my project.  The task allowed me to analyse the “context” of the project as I collected what proposed research I am going to be using and developing for my project which will be added to my project proposal. Also, the task allowed me to develop elements within structure I am wanting to focus for my project which has been developed from generating ideas in previous workshops. Finally, the task allowed me to analyse the requirements and parameters of the “Unit 8 Structures” project. To start the task, we visited the library to collect research sources from books. I focused on collecting research sources around “paper structures” which was inspired by the previous “structure” workshop task. I have decided to develop the element “paper structure” because I have previous experience with paper crafts which I found really enjoyable and fun to create. Also, I have decided to develop “paper structure” because there are a variety of elements within the topic that I would like to explore and develop further throughout the project. The topics include, paper stencils, origami, 3D pop-up work and 3D paper models. To collect artists and research around “paper structures” I found a book in the library called “Paper cutting: contemporary artists, timeless craft”. This book will allow me to develop my research around paper contemporary artists and explore a variety of paper-cutting techniques for my project. Also, I collected a book called “Creating with paper” which has a variety of 3D paper models to create with instructions that I will and explore in the project. Finally, I collected another research source for my project which is called “Paper Cuts” which explores the works of Johann-Jakob Hauswirth and Louis-David Saugy


Next I am going to complete my final proposed research and bibliography for my project proposal which will include all sources that I am going to be using. The sources will be “Harvard referenced” accurately.



Johnson P (1960) “Creating With Paper- Basic Forms And Variations” Nicholas Kaye Limited: London





Hauswirth, JJ, Saugy, L-D (1980) “Papercuts” Thames and Hudson: London






 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment