Monday 18 April 2016

Yorkshire Scuplture Park

On Saturday 2nd of April, I visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Park to collect primary research through taking photographs of a variety of different artwork and landscapes. Also, whilst visiting the gallery I focused on analysing one piece of artwork in detail which was “Ai Weiwei Iron Tree 2013”. This piece of artwork related to my project as I believe it represented a strong “Structure” from the information behind the piece but also relating back to my theme “structure of nature”. I decided to focus on taking photographs of landscapes as I wanted to analyse how landscapes are built up through a variety of different elements. This included pieces of art, trees and architecture which I found interesting to collect. Throughout my visit I took a variety of photos through different aspects of the gallery which included the church, greenhouse and woodland area. My favourite area of the sculpture park was the greenhouse as I enjoyed exploring all the variety of different plants and architecture within the environment. I also liked how all of the plants were overgrown which built up a secret garden theme and suited the old architecture and structure of the building. I believe that I will take this idea further into my project and develop my interpretation of the area to my theme “structure of nature”. Also whilst visiting the gallery, I focused on taking close up photographs of trees which were built up within a variety of “structures”. This included the textures of trees and roots which I am going to develop further into my project as I found them interesting to observe and I believe they are useful for my project theme.

Ai WeiWei “Iron Tree 2013

The piece is an iron tree that is made up of 97 iron cast elements which are joined together through the Chinese method of joining nuts and screws together. The piece will rust overtime which represents the “cycle of nature”. I found these piece interesting as Ai Weiwei has observed the structure of trees and developed the idea in order to fit the traditional method of joining nuts and irons together. When the piece was observed at different angles, you could see all the unique, structures and textures that builds all of the elements together to create one piece which relates back to my primary research of trees which were taken earlier from my visit. I found his choice of material interesting as I believe that all the nuts and screws that hold the piece together represent the knots in trees and branches. Also, I found his choice of material interesting as “iron” rusts over a long period of time which I believe it relates to the “structure of nature” as plants and trees change over the years and slowly fall apart through the environment. I liked how Ai Weiwei has captured this element of the “structure of nature” through his work and I can’t wait to visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park again to observe his piece in the future. Ai Weiwei “Iron Tree 2013” combines the ideas of nature and manufacturing together to create a strong piece that will rust and fall apart over time. To capture the piece through the stages of the artwork rusting and falling apart, it will be photograph to preserve the different stages and points through the years to come.


"Iron Tree" captured at different perspectives.





The other photographs of my visit are presented below.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment