Saturday 23 April 2016

5th April "Beatrice Coron"


On Tuesday 5th of April, I continued to complete contextual studies within my sketchbook for "Unit 8" structures. In the studio practise, I explored the works of Beatrice Coron who creates contemporary paper art and cuttings. The task allowed me to generate further ideas for my final piece that has been inspired by contextual studies and specific artists. Also, the task allowed me to develop my previous skills and methods of paper crafts which has been adapted to suit the artist. I have developed my knowledge of the equipment I use to create paper craft pieces and adapted them to my overall project research. Finally, the studio practise has allowed me to analyse an element within a range of research sources to support "Unit 8 structures".

Throughout the task I followed health and safety instructions to avoid the risk of injury when creating contemporary paper crafts and cuttings. Firstly, a cutting mat was used to allow me to cut safely but also to give me guidance when cutting specific areas. Also, a ruler was used to avoid my craft knife from moving away from the wrong direction and to avoid injuring myself. Finally, I placed my hand away from the craft knife to avoid the risk of injury. All of these instructions were followed throughout the studio practise and allowed me to create pieces safely.

To transcribe Beatrice Corons work, I used the material black card as the majority of her pieces consists of black paper cut silhouettes. When observing the paper-cuttings, I noticed that Beatrice’s pieces are very detailed and involve a variety of layers and intricate paper crafts. Before I started to complete the task, I was worried that I wasn’t going to create the detailed areas that Beatrice has created through my paper craft skills .However, I developed my previous paper craft skills and experimented with creating more detailed designs that I will take further into the project. By experimenting with contextual studies and the works of Beatrice Coron, it has allowed me to explore a variety of paper crafts further which will be developed through my project. To start crafting the pieces, I drew out the basic outline for each element and started to cut out the basic shapes. Then I developed the basic shapes and worked into them and highlighted the detail. A problem I faced when re-creating specific intricate details was that I couldn’t get my craft knife to work around some elements which damaged the overall piece. To solve the problem I placed a white background underneath the pieces I have created and used a biro to include specific details I couldn’t achieve with my craft knife. To improve next time I am going to continue to practise creating small intricate pieces within paper-cutting pieces. For my background of the sketchbook page, I wanted to emphasise the black paper cuts I have created so I collected newspaper and started to collage the layout. After collaging, I decided to paint the newspaper in white and grey paint to make the background interesting but also continue to emphasise the paper cuts I have created. Eventually, I placed all elements together to create a final sketchbook page. Next I am going to annotate and express my opinions of Beatrice Corons work. Also, I am going to continue research paper cutting artists which includes Rob Ryan.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment