Tuesday 12 April 2016

8th March Workshop Tasks Exploring "Structure"

On Tuesday 8th of March, we started to explore the project Unit 8 “Structures” through workshop activities as a group but also individually. By completing the workshop tasks, it allowed us to generate initial ideas and specific elements within “Structure”. Also the workshop allowed me to collect ideas and inspiration for my project individually and what element within “Structure” I am wanting to follow and expand. The task allowed us to analyse the requirements and parameters of the project through exploring the elements within the theme and generating ideas through the workshop. To start the project, we were given an images of microscopic plant cells.

We were given microscopic images of plant cells because they are made up of different elements that are combined into unique structures for each individual plants. Our first workshop task was to focus on a particular part of the structure of the image and use the grid method to enlarge the specific area of the image. I was curious to explore this method as I have never used this technique before to focus on a specific area of the image. To start the task we collected card, craft knife, cutting mat, safety ruler and a pencil to measure out the grid temple we were going to use. Throughout the workshop we followed health and safety instructions to avoid the risk of injury. A cutting mat was used to avoid damaging the table and allow the craft knife to be used safely. Also, a metal ruler was used to avoid the craft knife moving out of place and causing injury to the hand. I measured out the size of the grid on the card and cut out the rectangle safely with the equipment I collected. After creating my grid, I placed it onto the microscopic plant cell image which highlighted a particular element of the image. Next I started to build the image up onto paper by doubling the particular section. By doubling the image, it made the overall drawing different which presented a new structure within the particular piece .It also emphasised the structure of the plant cells and how elements are combined to create this unique structure.
 
The grid method on the chosen image.
 
The highlighted section presented through the grid method.
After exploring this workshop we continued to generate initial ideas as a group. For the next task, we continued to use the microscopic plant cells and work as a group to transcribe the image together. We were given a section of the image that we were going to create and combine them all together as a group to create one final piece. I enjoyed the workshop task because it allowed us to present our confidence with materials individually but also combine them together to show how a variety of materials can be used and combined together to create a final piece. The workshop task was useful because it allowed us to develop our team and communication skills to work together to recreate the image. Both workshop tasks were useful for me because it allowed me to collect inspiration from the images given and develop my ideas of the structure of “Nature”. Overall, the session went well because it allowed me to exploring new drawing techniques and methods with resources I have used previously. To improve, I will complete the section of the drawing in the group task in independent study because I was unable to finish the piece in the time given.

The group section I started to create which is made up of watercolours and black
paint to emphasise the structure of the plant cell. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment