Monday 18 April 2016

The Ruskin Collection


On the 24th of March I visited the Millennium Gallery in Sheffield to see the “Ruskin Collection”. This exhibition held the works of John Ruskin who was one of the main influences of the Arts and Crafts movement between 1880 and 1910. This writer was influenced by the works of nature and this is the key element of the Arts and Crafts Movement as all pieces and designs related back to nature and traditional methods. I decided to visit this exhibition to collect primary research images and analyse pieces within the gallery that explore the Arts and Crafts Movement. A key element of my project was to explore the movement and I believe that when I have observed pieces visually within the gallery, it has allowed me to understand and develop my knowledge of the movement in further detail which will be developed further into my project. I have previous knowledge of this movement and I believe that it will be a big influence to my work as the “Arts and Crafts” movement has been inspired by nature and traditional methods which relate to my theme “structure of nature”. By visiting the gallery, it has allowed me to analyse a research source to support my project “Unit 8 Structures”.

My favourite pieces from the gallery were the book illustrations that explored a variety of different plants and species of birds. I found these pieces interesting as they incorporated detail drawings into intricate book pages and used a variety of materials that I use which includes pencil and watercolour. I believe that I also liked these pieces because they were detailed illustrations that I am wanting to explore throughout this project but also for my future. I found the book illustrations incredible because they were preserved and presented the original book pages that were created in the “Arts and Crafts Movement”. These book pieces related back to the overall exhibition collection as they are inspired by elements of nature which are described and presented in detail. I believe that I will be inspired by these book illustrations and I will take ideas to develop them into my own work but also for my final project.

















Sadly, the gallery wouldn’t allow me to take photographs of the other parts of the “The Ruskin Collection” because of copyright issues which was a disadvantage as I couldn’t collect more primary research for my project. However, I did collect some information and photographs which will be taken into my project and also be developed to create my own ideas and designs. All the images I have taken are presented below.

No comments:

Post a Comment