Monday 25 April 2016

12th April Primary Research "Wentworth Gardens"


On Tuesday 12th of April, I started to complete primary research within my sketchbook that I obtained in my independent study and visits to galleries. In the studio practise I focused on my photographs that I collected from the visit to Wentworth Garden Centre and the historic gardens. The photographs that I have taken focused on a variety of landscapes and elements within the gardens which include trees, architecture and plants. I was excited to start presenting my primary research in my sketchbook because I am wanting to experiment with different layouts and materials which will present my work effectively. The task allowed me to experiment with a variety of materials to highlight and emphasise the photos I have collected in my sketchbook. Also, the task allowed me to create a variety of sketchbook layouts and backgrounds to place the photographs effectively but also create a theme. By completing primary research, it has allowed me to gain confidence and present my thought process and journey when collecting the photographs which relate back to my project “Unit 8 Structures”. Finally, the task allowed me to analyse a range of research sources to support the project “Unit 8 Structures”.

For my layout of the photographs, I wanted to present how different elements within landscapes and environments are combined together to create a “structure of landscape”. From my visit, I discovered that the historic gardens had hidden buildings and architecture that were covered in the environment over the years. For my sketchbook I wanted to incorporate both of these elements so I decided to build up the page and create layers with hidden images inside the sketchbook page. Also, by creating this layout, it allowed me to experiment with paper structures which combined all the images that I am going to explore and develop for the project. After creating the background and layout for my sketchbook page, I placed my photographs inside the different layers and started to build up my primary research from my visit. A problem I faced after placing the images into my sketchbook, was that I was unsure what material would be suitable to experiment drawing and transcribing the photographs. However, I solved the problem and decided to use different materials for each layer and combine all of them together for my last page. This allowed me to experiment with a variety of materials and present how a variety of different elements are combined together within “structure of landscapes”. Firstly, I focused on creating photographs of architecture and buildings for my first layer. To present all the detail and structure of the elements I decided to use a variety of shading pencils. This allowed me to develop my skills with using the material and create texture on my sketchbook page with the combination of different shading pencils. I enjoyed using shading pencils because it allowed me to continue to experiment with the material and develop my confidence further when using it. After creating the first layer, I focused on creating my second layer which included a combination of plants, trees and architecture. The material I used for the second layout was a combination of water-colours and coloured pencils as both of these elements combined create an effective outcome with has been explored previously in my research. By experimenting with these materials for my primary research, it has allowed me to develop my skills and adapt them to the research sources I have collected. I believe that these materials were effective for my photographs because it allowed me to emphasise the details and colours that each element present within the historic gardens.

Next, I am going to complete my last layout for the primary research page of “Wentworth Gardens” and continue to generate further research sources and contextual studies for “Unit 8 Structures”.


Here are some photographs from my visit to the Wentworth Gardens-
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment