Monday 18 April 2016

York Art Gallery


On the 31st of March, I visited the York Art Gallery to explore the variety of artwork they present but also specifically research and analyse the “Lumber Room”. This gallery room held the works of Mark Hearld who I have explored within my “Unit 8 Structures” but also “unknown treasures” such as vintage items and antiques. Whilst visiting the gallery, I also explored the other rooms that the placed presented which included Ceramic areas and traditional gallery rooms that held paintings on display. For my research, I collected a variety of primary images but also I completed a workshop which was creating life drawings from objects that were given within the gallery. For my primary images I took a variety of photographs that explored pieces of artwork at different angles and perspectives. For my workshop task I completed my life drawing within my sketchbook that I took to my gallery visit. By visiting the York Art Gallery, it has allowed me to analyse a research source to support my project “Unit 8 Structures”.

When I visited the gallery exhibition “The Lumber Room” I was amazed by the combination of classic vintage antiques that contrasted with the bright colours and patterns across the room. As I analysed the room in detail, I found that the gallery included a variety of artworks and prints from Mark Hearld. This artist creates animal prints and sketches within his work and is inspired by “nature” which relates back to my project theme and inspiration the “structure of nature”.  I enjoyed analysing the artworks in personal as I could identify in detail what materials and elements he has used to create the pieces that were on display. Also, I enjoyed analysing Mark Hearlds work as he placed his sketchbook pages within the gallery room for the visitors to see. I found looking at Mark Hearlds sketchbook work inspiring as I could see the influence for his artwork and what has inspired him which is similar to my project sketchbook. I related to Mark Hearlds sketchbook pages as he is inspired by nature for his artwork which relates back to my project as I have explored the “structure of nature” because I found this element fascinating to explore in further detail. Also, in the gallery room, they displayed a variety of taxidermy birds and animals that were displayed in cabinets. I found exploring these figures fascinating as I could look into detail how textures such a feathers, build up the species to create a strong, unique structure. Also, within the “Lumber Room” I enjoyed observing the intricate 3D paper box scenes that were displayed in cabinets. I found observing this pieces inspiring as I am also exploring “paper structures” which allowed me to analyse how the pieces are built up together to create the scenes. Also, I found the intricate details and patterns within the paper scenes incredible as I was amazed by how the artist has made small illustrations to create an overall effective outcome piece. Finally, whilst visiting the “Lumber Room” I found the classic, antique rocking-horses interesting to observe as I was analysing how the toys were built up and placed within the gallery. I enjoyed looking at the pieces as I could see that they have been preserved over the years but still continue to present damages to the toys as an overall piece. Within the gallery room, I really liked how these rocking-horses were presented as they contrasted with the bold backgrounds and highlighted the theme of the exhibition “unknown treasures”. Overall, I really enjoyed collecting primary research from the “Lumber Room” as I believe the exhibition room related to my themes of “Unit 8 structures”. All the pieces within the room were inspiring and I believe that I will develop ideas from my visit and adapt them into my work.  

After visiting the “Lumber Room” I decided to visit the rest of the gallery which included Ceramic rooms and pieces. I found these rooms less effective as they didn’t relate to my project work and themes that I am exploring. However, I enjoyed exploring around the different rooms and especially looking at the large centre piece which held a strong architecture structure that I collected for my primary research. Also, I visited the traditional rooms of the gallery which held portraits and landscapes. Within the room, they placed a workshop which was a task to create a life-drawing from the objects given on the table. By completing this task, it allowed me to develop my sketching techniques and create an effective piece of work for my sketchbook pages. Also by completing this task, it has allowed me to continue to explore my theme “structure of nature” as the objects included elements of nature. I found completing this task inspiring as I haven’t explored a gallery before that held workshops like this and I really enjoyed experimenting with life-drawing.

Overall, my visit to the York Art Gallery was inspiring as I have collected a variety of primary research images and drawings that will be developed further throughout my project but also be included within my work. All the images are presented below.
















































No comments:

Post a Comment