Monday 18 April 2016

My Development Of Structure Mind Map


After generating ideas and exploring a variety of elements within “Structure” I have created a mind map to present my development and identify which elements I am going to focus for “Unit 8 Structures” project. By completing the development mind map it has given me the confidence to explore in detail the specific elements that I was to focus on for my project. Also, by completing the mind map it has allowed me to generate further ideas in detail and explore artists within the elements that I can take forward into my project and collect research. Finally, by completing the development mind map it has allowed me to plan my time efficiently and start to set targets for the next stage of the project which involves research. To relate the mind map to for the project I am wanting to explore, I have decided to make it visual and I created a nature, woodland theme around the piece. To combine all of my ideas that I am wanting to explore, I split the visual design in half and created a paper stencil based around the woodland theme which relates to an element I am wanting to explore (paper structures) that is explained in detail through my mind map. On the second half of the visual design, I have drawn a woodland theme which includes real wood pieces that I collected. This half of the design combines both “illustrative structure” and the “structure of nature”. By completing this mind map, I have analysed the requirements and parameters of “Unit 8 Structures”. The image below presents my development of “structure”.

Firstly, on my mind map, I have explored in detail the “structure of landscapes”. I have decided to develop this element for my project because I have an interest for nature and I believe that I can explore this theme confidently but also in detail throughout my project. Also, I have decided to explore landscapes because I believe that a variety of different environments and habitats can be seen through the subject which will be suitable for me to collect a range of research sources but also generate further ideas. Finally, I have decided to develop “landscapes” for my project because I think that factors such as weather and seasons will be interesting to research and how it can affect the overall appearance of landscapes and elements within the structure. On my mind map I have explored in detail a variety of different landscapes which include forests, woodland, coastal, countryside, gardens, city landscapes, mountains and pond life. I believe that I can explore these subjects in detail for my project and I am excited to explore elements within these different structures of landscapes. Finally, for the “structure of landscapes”, I have explored seasonal landscapes which has been developed into the 4 seasons and the weather within them. Seasons and weather have a big impact on the landscape and environment within them so I believe it will be interesting to explore in further detail.

Next on my mind map, I explored the “Structure Of Nature”. I have decided to explore this element in detail because I enjoyed completing the previous workshop task where we observed microscopic cells and insect wing patterns. Also, I have chosen to develop this topic in detail because I have previous knowledge and interests for nature and I believe that I can adapt this to explore my project in detail. Finally, I have chosen to develop the “structure” of nature because the topic relates to “landscape structure” and I believe that I can combine both of these elements together through research and development work. For the “structure of nature” I split the subject into two topics which was animals and plants. On the mind map, I have explored animals in detailed and developed structure within specific subjects such as birds, mammals and insects. For the subject birds I have identified the structure of wings and feathers. The structure of mammals include skeletons, muscles and fur. For the structure of insects, I have explored wings and spider webs. For the structure of plants, I have identified how each plant are made up of different elements combined together. Also, I have identified the life cycle of plant and how different structures are combined together to create this. Finally for the “structure of nature”, I have explored natural materials and an artist called Andy Goldsworthy who uses these elements for his work.

On my mind map I have explored the “Arts and Crafts movement” which uses traditional techniques and methods to create furniture and handicrafts. Artists and designers within that movement have been explored and this includes William Morris and John Ruskin. I am going to be developing in further detail the wallpaper designs of William Morris who is inspired by nature and the environment.

Next on my mind map, I have developed “Illustrative structures” and explored artists within the element. I have decided to develop this element for my project because it is a career path that I am wanting to achieve in the future. Also, I have decided to develop “illustrative structures” because I have a big interest for this subject and I am wanting to demonstrate the development of skills I am going to learn throughout this project. Finally, I have decided to explore this element because I believe it can combine with all the other elements I am wanting to develop further perfectly for my project. On the mind map, I have explored the illustration of birds and animals which include different species in a variety of habitats that I can develop in detail for my project. Also on my mind map, I have explored the illustration of the environment which include a variety of different habitats and elements within them. Finally, for “illustrative structures” I have identified artists called Mark Hearld and Emily Hogarth who explore nature and illustration together to create incredible pieces.

Finally, for my development of “structure” I have explored “paper structures” and the variety of crafts within the element. I have decided to develop this structure because I have previous knowledge and understanding of different types of paper crafts which can be developed to suit the project. Also, I have decided to explore “paper structure” because I feel confident with using the materials and equipment and I believe that I can develop a variety of paper work based around nature which will combine all of my developed ideas together. Finally, I have decided to explore “paper structures” because I would like to develop my skills further and create pieces which incorporate other elements on my development mind map. I have identified different types of “paper structures” which include paper-cut art and artists called Rob Ryan, Beatrice Coron and Emily Hogarth. All of these artists use paper stencils and fonts to create a variety of contemporary paper art. Also, I have explored “paper scenes” which include the works of Helen Musselwhite and Peter Callesen who create built up 3D paper scenes. Finally for “Paper Structures” I have explored paper crafts in domes and the work of Helen Musselwhite who creates 3D paper structures in domes.

No comments:

Post a Comment