Saturday 16 April 2016

Structure Mind Map


My definition of “Structure” is the arrangements of elements that is something complex or involves patterns. Structure can be explored through a variety of different elements and this was discussed and researched previously in the group, workshop task. After gaining inspiration and generating ideas, I combined them all together to create a mind map that explored the thought process as a group but also individually. When I first heard that the project was going to be about “Structure”, my first idea that came to my mind was the most common element related to structure which is architecture. My first ideas that came to my mind were sky scrapers, landmarks and historical buildings. However, as we continued to explore “Structure” as a whole group and completing the workshop task, we generated a variety of elements within the topic which inspired me to develop my interpretation of the project. After being given the brief and topic “Structure” I wasn’t feeling confident with the project because I believed that there wasn’t many ideas or elements within the topic and I didn’t feel inspired to generate ideas. Also, I didn’t feel confident with the topic because I felt with my first ideas I wouldn’t enjoy the project because it didn’t relate to my interests and hobbies. However, as we continued to generate ideas in the task I found ideas that I found interesting and related to my interests which helped me to gain confidence and develop my ideas to create a mind map exploring “Structure”. The mind map below combines individual and group task ideas for the project which presents the thought process for the project.
 
 
 
 


Firstly, on my mind map, I have explored structure through geography and geology which includes landscapes such as forests, mountains and coastal. I found exploring this element exciting because I have an interest for the environment and habitats which I developed in detail when generating ideas as a group. I believe that I could develop and explore this element in further detail for my project .Also, within geography and geology I also explored maps which includes the London Underground map, road maps and satellite maps. I enjoyed exploring with this element because I found all the ideas interesting to develop further into my project. Also, I believe that I can develop research for the elements and collect my own research inspired by these initial ideas. Next I explored painted landscape structures and artists within this element which included David Hockney and Ben Nicolson. I found researching artists within this element useful because I believe that I can collect inspiration from them and collect further development of the variety of different landscapes for my research.

Also, on my mind map I explored paper structures and elements and artists within this element which includes the works of Beatrice Coron and Su Blackwell. Within the elements of paper structures, I included paper crafts such as origami, 3D pop-up books and paper sculptures. I enjoyed exploring this element because I have previous experience with the variety of paper crafts and I also have previous knowledge with the works of Su Blackwell who creates 3D paper book sculptures and scenes. I believe that I can develop this element for my project and explore the variety of paper crafts in detail that .Also, I am interested to explore further paper artists and how they create different pieces from the same material. I believe that I have the confidence to develop Paper Structure further and interpret different techniques and crafts. Illustrative structures have been explored and I found an artist called Lisa Milroy who created patterned illustrations. I found enjoyed developing this element because illustration is an interest for me and I am wanting to explore this in the future but also for my career.

Next on my mind map, I explored abstract structure which included surrealism, cubism and futurism. From previous experience with abstract work and artists, I think that I am not confident with exploring this element in structure and for my project. However, I have demonstrated my knowledge of what I have learnt this year in my course and the skills I have gained. Also, on my mind map I have demonstrated the skills I have learnt this year through print-making and I have explored printed structures and explored the works of a local artist called Samantha Groom.  Textile structures have also been explored through my mind map and I have demonstrated my previous understanding of the element within the topic and I have explored different fabrics and stitching techniques. Ceramics has also been explored through decorative and functional structure and the works of Gwen Bainbridge.

From the group task, I have gained knowledge and information from structures I have never explored before. This includes geometric structures and the works of Sol Le Witt who uses bold but simple geometric shapes for his pieces. Also, I have gained knowledge through exploring abstract structures and an artist called Michael Brennand. Drawn structures was also a new element within the topic that I haven’t had previous knowledge of before. This technique includes an artist called Alberto Giacometti Finally, I have gained artist knowledge from exploring colourful structures and the work of Jonathon Borofsky.

On my mind map of “Structures”, I have explored the language and text which includes the structure of words, spoken language and poems. This was developed into the structure of music which includes lyrics, composition and instruments. Then I developed ideas through society which included cultures, religions, social class structure and relationships. The structure of time was interesting to explore because it allowed me to reflect on history, my daily routine and the structure of everyday life.

Finally on the mind map, I explored the structures of science which included biology, chemistry and physics. In biology, I focused my development on the structure of the human body, animal body and plants. This was developed further into the structure of cells, skeletons and muscles. Then I continued to explore natural structures within biology. Natural structures includes forms of shells, fossils, rocks and seeds. Also within natural structures, it included the life cycle, eco-system, food chain of animals and the theory of evolution. Finally, within natural structures I explored microscopic plant cell structures and patterns which includes insect wings and feathers. Within chemistry, there are many types of chemical structures, formulas and structures of atoms. The periodic table is a large structure made up of individual elements combined together. In physics, the whole universe is one giant structure with elements that are combined within the solar system. This includes galaxies, stars and planets. Overall, science is an important element within structure because it is made up of a variety of elements that have unique arrangement of structures that can be developed for the project.

Next I am going to create a mind map presenting my development of the project and what elements within structure I am going to research and explore for Unit 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment