Monday 2 May 2016

14th April "Rob Ryan" And "Helen Musselwhite

On Thursday 14th of April, I continued to explore and complete contextual study pages for “Unit 8 Structures”. All of the studies were completed in my sketchbook and I explored the works of Helen Musselwhite and I continued to explore the works of Rob Ryan. Both of these artists create contemporary paper art and cutting pieces and I was going to experiment and explore how these are created in detail throughout my sketchbook. The task allowed me to gain inspiration and ideas that will be developed further throughout my project. Also, the task allowed me to develop my paper craft skills to adapt to the specific styles of work that both artists present.  The task allowed me to generate ideas throughout the elements of “structure” that I am going to combine as Helen Musselwhite’s work has a theme of nature which I am curious to explore in detail. Finally, the studio practise, has allowed me to develop further knowledge of Rob Ryan’s work and how he creates the intricate pieces. The studio practise has allowed me to analyse an element within a range of research sources to support “Unit 8 Structures”.

To start the task I collected images from my contextual research and placed them into my sketchbook for “Rob Ryan”. I wanted to create a collage of Rob Ryan’s work because I wanted to present how I have developed my knowledge and understanding to transcribe his work through my paper craft skills. Also, I wanted to create a collage of his work because I wanted to express how all of his pieces of work are detailed and intricate which will be developed into my interpretation and the overall project. To relate to Rob Ryan’s work, I wanted to make the layout simple which will highlight his pieces of work, so I decided to keep the background white and create a stencil of his name. I problem I faced was when I created the stencil, it wasn’t effective as it couldn’t be seen above the page behind the sketchbook. To solve the problem, I placed coloured card underneath the lettering which made it effective and stand out on the surface. After creating the title, I focused on creating a background which emphasised Rob Ryan’s style of work. From observing and analysing his pieces, I recognized that he had some detailed borders around his work. I developed his idea and created a border around my sketchbook page which allowed me to adapt my paper craft skills to suit the artist’s style of work. Whilst creating the border, I found it difficult to create small intricate pieces within the design. However, I overcame the problem and gained confidence throughout the process which will be developed throughout my project. Once I completed the border, I decided to focus on themes that Rob Ryan places within his work. I recognized that Rob Ryan creates a variety of nature pieces so I decided to make paper cut-outs of flowers and birds. I found creating these elements useful because it related to the other element of structure (nature) that I am focusing throughout my project which will be combined with paper crafts. After creating these elements, I placed them onto the sketchbook and decided to focus on creating a sketchbook page based around the works of Helen Mussellwhite.

For the background of my sketchbook page, I gained inspiration from observing Helens work and created a basic colourful background which was made my acrylic paint. I wanted the page to have a neat finish and this was a problem I faced when using acrylic paint. I noticed that when I painted the backgrounds for the first time, I could see the white background in some areas. To solve the problem I created a couple of layers of paint on the surface which allowed the piece to be neat and ready to be used for the page. Whilst the page were drying, I decided to create the elements for my contextual study page. For my first page, I wanted to create a specific large scale piece of Helens work to emphasise the detail and elements within the layout. This allowed me to experiment with creating small intricate paper crafts pieces and also develop my knowledge and skills of creating these elements. I created the “owl” features and parts individually and combined them all together to create the layout. I enjoyed creating these features because it allowed me to explore working with card in further detail and combine a variety of bright card surfaces together. When observing Helens work, I noticed that she included further facial features within the characters. To create these features, I collected fine pens and highlighted all the specific details onto the surface of my characters. Once I created these specific characters, I continued to develop my paper craft skills and create a large scale paper tree which was transcribed from the original piece of work. Then I combined all of these elements together and placed them into my sketchbook to create the large Helen Musselwhite piece.




 

Next, I am going to continue creating the large scale piece of Helen Musselwhite and complete the overall sketchbook page about her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment