Friday 27 May 2016

10th May Creating My Background Layer For My Final Piece


On Tuesday 10th of May, I started to create my final project piece for “Unit 8 Structures”. The studio practise involved creating my first background layer which incorporated the design layout of trees and a path. I was nervous to create this piece as I haven’t worked on a large scale to recreate my piece as the original Marquette design was created through the A4 size. However, I was prepared for the task as I have practised previously and created a final layout which involved measurements and my shelf. Also, I was prepared to create the final piece, as I have used the material previously within my design sheet to create the layout I was wanting to achieve. I was curious to start the task as I was wanting to see if my design layout will look effective in large scale as my previous exploration of the “suspension technique” concluded that working towards a bigger scale creates a more effective 3D paper-cut scene. By completing the studio-practise, it has allowed me to develop my skills and understanding I have learnt from this project to create my final project piece. Also, by completing this task, it has allowed me to demonstrate my project progress through research and development to create my final piece. I have adapted my paper-cutting skills and techniques to work towards a large scale piece for my final project “Unit 8 Structures”. By completing this task, it has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop my final project piece. Finally, by completing this task, it has allowed me to apply practical skills and theoretical knowledge and understanding to complete my project piece for “Unit 8 Structures”.

 

 
To start the task, I collected my material “Forest Green” card and measured out the background I am wanting to achieve. To relate my design measurements to the layout of my shelf, I continued to keep the length at 60cm and the height at 60cm. This would allow my piece to fit into the shelf measurements accurately and also look effective when placed on display. Also, I decided to use these measurements as I believe that I will be able to work at this large scale piece in order to complete my design. To make my measurements accurate, I decided to use a paper-cutter in order to achieve a straight line and effective measurements to place my design layout onto the material. After creating the background, I started to create my design layout trees. I was nervous to start the task as I was worried that I would make a mistake which would affect the overall design. However, I overcame this problem and I started to create the layout. A problem I faced with the material was that when I was drawing with a pencil it wouldn’t be presented effectively within the surface. To solve the problem, I collected a white pencil and continued to work into the design layout which gave an effective outcome within the sheet. I was really happy with the outcome of my trees as they were the right size I was wanting to achieve but also effective as I placed the correct number I was wanting to draw within my layout. Next I focused creating the path which I believe was difficult to achieve. The path within the layout moved from the background towards the foreground. I found creating the layout difficult to achieve as the layouts were inaccurate when I started to draw the basic layout. However, I overcame the problem and after a couple of attempts I created the path layout I was wanting to achieve. After, drawing the elements and details within the path, I was ready to paper-cut my design. For my paper-cutting I continued to follow health and safety instructions throughout the task to avoid the risk of injury. I collected a large cutting-mat as I was working at a large scale and avoided the risk of injury when working into the layout.  When working into the design, I placed my hand away from the craft knife to avoid the risk of injury when cutting the pieces out. All these instructions were followed throughout the task. When cutting my design out, I found it difficult at the start of the task as the increate pieces were hard to achieve accurately which caused some damages to my original design layout. However, as I continued with the task I started develop my confidence and I used my paper-cutting skills to cut the background trees out accurately.


Due to time-management, I was unable to cut my final background layout out which included a couple of trees and the path design. Next, I am going to achieve my background layout which will be ready to be placed onto the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment