Friday 27 May 2016

.Exploring The Technique "Suspension" In Further Detail


I decided to explore and experiment in further detail the "suspension" technique through completing another 3D paper cut scene. I continued to use images from my primary research to achieve this technique and I also decided to make the piece small scale to see if it would work effectively. Previously, I worked with A3 size to complete my paper cut 3D suspension piece. The outcome was very effective and created a 3D scene that looked different through a variety of perspectives. I have decided to work to the size A4 to experiment if the size of paper is more effective at different scales and also to develop my knowledge of using this suspension technique further. I continued to use this technique as I found the piece more effective and presents the intricate paper cutting details from a variety of angles and perspectives. Also, I continued to use this technique as I have explored a variety of methods to present my work previously and I believe this element is the most effective as the layout presents all the paper cuttings and scenes more effectively which combine together to create a detailed outcome. This technique was developed further compared to the other designs because they didn't present the paper cutting pieces effectively as they were damaged easily and displayed through a table. The advantage of creating a shelf is that my paper cutting pieces are safely displayed and suspended so that they will not be damaged when they are put on display. However a problem I faced when placing work on display through this technique is that I found it difficult to attach the pieces together and I believe the material I used wasn't effective as it can be seen when displayed. I will continue to develop and experiment with materials to find out which is the most effective to be displayed and attach the pieces safely together. By continuing to experiment with this technique, it has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop how I am going to present my work for my final project.

 

To create my paper-cutting piece, I printed an image from my visit to the Lake District which was a wetland environment scene. I decided to use this image as I could identify a variety of layers which I thought it could be developed and created into a 3D scene. Also I decided to use this image as I believe I will be inspired by the research to create my own initial designs for my final piece. Next, I photocopied the image twice to create 3 layers and transferred them onto card. Previously I found placing the images onto card not effective as it caused the layout to break easily when the design is being cut out. This has been demonstrated again through this experimentation which caused the layout to be less effective overall. To improve next time, I will continue to develop my ideas further and explore an alternative paper-cutting technique which will create an effective outcome within the suspension technique. After cutting the layout out, I placed the elements together and measured out where I needed to create spaces to place my material to suspend. I continued to use string for my suspension technique as it a strong material which can hold the weight of paper safely. However, a problem I faced with the string was that it could be seen when the outcome was placed on the shelf which made it less effective to the piece. To improve next time, I will continue to explore materials in further detail and find a suitable transparent material to hold my work safely.

Overall, I was pleased with my outcome as it created a 3D paper-cut scene and continued to look different from a variety of angles and perspectives. However, I believe that working with a bigger paper scale is more effective as it presents the intricate pieces within my work in more detail compared to the A4 size. I will develop the information and research I have collected from this experiment further into my project.
Video Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSC31ibNy4U&feature=youtu.be
All the images are presented below.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment