Friday 27 May 2016

Maquette Of Final Piece


To create a maquette of my final piece, I decided to create a smaller scale piece which incorporated all of my elements and characters which will be taken into my final work. I decided to create a small scale piece because I wanted to experiment if the elements worked successfully together and what pieces I need to change or include towards my final piece. By working smaller scale, it has allowed me to focus with the basic outlines of my pieces and to analyse which place is the most effective to “suspend” them onto my shelf. Also, by working smaller scale it will allow me to analyse how the pieces of my work are suspended and also analyse the appearance when they are placed. Finally, I decided to work smaller scale as if the piece has any mistakes or I damage any elements within my design I will be able to correct them which will be taken forward into my final large, project piece. By completing this task it has allowed to create all the pieces of my final project piece and reflect how effective they are and to see if they recreate the 3D paper cutting scene I am wanting to achieve. Also by completing this task, it has allowed me to identify if the chosen material is effective and how my work is suspended. Finally, by completing the task it has allowed me to develop my confidence with creating the final pieces which will be taken into my final project and enlarged to a bigger scale. Overall, by completing a maquette of my final project piece, demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop my final solutions and ideas for my piece. Also, by completing the maquette it has allowed me to apply practical skills and theoretical knowledge to create this piece and to develop my understanding for my final project piece.

To start the task, I collected a variety of A4 coloured card which I have used previously in the project. For each layer, I decided to change the colour of the card to identify where the elements are going to be placed onto my final piece. However a problem I faced with the layers was that I was using my original shelf which only had 2 sections and a background compared to the final shelf I am creating which has 4 sections and a background. To improve my piece, I will identify within my sketchbook which elements are going on my final sections of my shelf. This will then be developed and created for my final project piece. To create the Marquette I decided to create the background layer of my piece first as it is the outline of my overall piece. For the background, I drew the outline onto the surface which I found challenging as I was working on a small scale piece of paper. However I overcame this problem and started to cut the design out. When cutting the path of my design out I noticed that I included a variety of intricate details which made the outline very fragile and difficult to place onto my design. To improve next time I will include less intricate details and patterns which will make my piece stronger and easier to place for my final project. Also, another element I identified within my maquette which will be taken into my final piece is the bottom section of my path needs to be just completed before the edge of the material to allow all of the pieces to be connected and combined safely together. After completing my background, I placed the layout onto my shelf with tape. I found that tape wasn’t effective because it could be seen within the layout and has a risk of damaging the piece. I will continue to develop ideas and solutions to place my final background piece. To create my foreground piece I used a different piece of coloured card an started to work into the surface of my tree and woodpecker design. When creating the tree surface, I believe I have gained confidence and inspiration from my primary research images to make them which allowed me to create my own designs for my final piece. I attached my woodpecker design onto the tree surface and outlined the patterns I am going to create. However, for my final piece I am going to create my woodpecker design separate and place the outline next to my tree design. I have decided to change this decision as the surface and colour of the woodpecker are different to the tree colours which will include a risk of the colours showing which will make it less effective. Once I created the foreground piece I completed the next layout which involved a tree and squirrel. For my final piece, I have decided to keep both of these elements attached together as they both have similar colours which will be suitable to be combined. I found creating the squirrel outline easy to create as the piece had simple outlines and features. Next I focused creating my stag piece which will be placed in the middle of my piece. I decided to just draw the outline of the stag as it will be placed further away within the design layout. I will be including patterns and surfaces of the stag when I create my final design. Finally for my maquette piece, I created a tree branch which was placed at the top of my paper-scene. I will not be placing the design layout onto my final piece because I believe it doesn’t look effective when placed with the other elements of my layout. Also, I have decided not to place this design layout as I believe it will not work successfully large scale. Al of the pieces I created were attached with black string to the surface of my shelf. This material is not effective as it can be seen which makes the pieces less effective for the 3D scene. Also the material allowed the pieces to move which made the outcome less effective. For my final piece I will be using a transparent material which will attach the pieces together to my shelf. Also, to stop the pieces moving I will be attaching material towards the bottom of my piece to allow them to be stable and fixed in a strong position to create my paper-cut scene.

Overall, I was happy with my maquette piece as it allowed me to gain confidence with creating the final elements and also make changes towards my final piece. Next I am going to complete my final piece. All of the images are presented below.
 Video Link-https://youtu.be/82aIZHRseYQ






No comments:

Post a Comment